A asked in Food & DrinkEntertaining · 7 years ago

Can anyone explain how to read this nutrition table correctly?

I have 4 slices of black pudding and I'm a little confused about how to correctly read the nutrition table on the back of the product. Please forgive my obtuseness.

1. There is "energy kJ and "energy kcal". What is the "energy kJ" and am I right in assuming that the "energy kcal" (which is 325) is the one to go by if you're interested in counting your calorie intake?

2. The packaging of the product says 227 g. Is this referring to the combined weight of all four slices or does it refer to each individual slice? The table shows, for example, that 11.0 g of saturated fat is contained per 100 g. So if I ate one slice would I therefore have eaten just over 22 g of saturated fat assuming that each slice is 227g?

3. Why is there a row showing sodium and another row beneath it that says 'equivalent as salt'? I thought sodium and salt were the same things?

In the International System of Units, energy is measured in joules (J) or its multiples; the kilojoule (kJ) is most often used for food-related quantities. An older metric system unit of energy, still widely used in food-related contexts, is the calorie; more precisely, the "food calorie", "large calorie" or kilocalorie (kcal or Cal), equal to 4.184 kilojoules. (It should not be confused with the "small calorie" (cal) that is often used in chemistry and physics, equal to 1/1000 of a food calorie.)