What to do about someone using my address for Income tax filing?

I moved into my house last year and the previous tenants have yet to change their address. Which would be annoyingly ok, except that now that tax season is wrapping we're getting their income tax statements and mail from places like social assistance and employment insurance.

I'm certain these tenants are using my address to get additional benefits and or claims for tax purposes. Since my husband and I obviously use our address for our own tax filing, I don't want to have to deal with an audit because their using it as well.

What can I do about this? Is there someone I can notify, the post office just says to return the mail to sender but in the case of government mail, I'd rather know that something is being done if the tenants are up to no good.

I live in Ontario so answers that are applicable to Canada would be super helpful. Thanks

5 Answers

  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Actually it kinda is her business. She's not saying that she's getting inconvenient mail. She is getting tax filings and government forms. I don't know if you people are American but in canada, we are receiving our tax assessments now, so it shouldn't be going to her address if they didn't claim her house and address on their taxes. I wouldn't be ok with someone using my address to collect benefits. Not only that but when it shows up that two separate families are using it, you can be audited. Hopefully you have all your paperwork :)

    Anyways, you can contact employment insurance and most other assistant agencies to let them know you're getting mail for a person not at your address. They'll do their own investigation from there, if it is fraud they will do what they need.

    Also to agree with one answerer, don't open anything. You can still send it back to post office but also contact the agencies.

    Good luck :)

    Source(s): Civil servant
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    Write "not at this adrress" on the envelopes and return them to the post office. It's not your business what happens from there, or what the former tenants are up to.

  • 7 years ago

    You mark it that no such person and send it back. Nothing else you can do.

  • Mark it "Moved, no forwarding address" and bang it back in the Post.

    Hopefully you are not opening their mail. THAT would be a crime on your part.

    What the prior tenants are "up to" is none of your concern. Sending any mail back will take care of the matter automatically, whether it's an innocent error (most likely) or something nefarious.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • tro
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    when you receive any of their mail, return it to the post office indicating these people are not at this address

    the post office should take care of it from there

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.