Black bears and Menstrual cycle?
Will I be bear food if I'm on the rag camping?
I live in northern Alberta
- Anonymous7 years ago
It's an old wive's tale. If it were true, don't you think you'd hear of more women being attacked while out hiking or camping?
- DentarthurdentLv 47 years ago
Don't go in the ocean either.
- RaatzLv 77 years ago
No and neither will sharks. Urban myth. It's not fresh blood, nor made of mostly blood, and it doesn't smell appetizing to them.
- James BlackleyLv 77 years ago
For **** sakes, what a moronic question!
Black bears are not aggressive creatures, they are more afraid of humans then we are of them. The only time a bear will attack is due to human stupidity such as getting between a mother/cub, startling a bear without giving it a chance to run or leaving food open in a camp location, other then that if they see u they will run the other way.
Here's some tips
1. Conceal all food at your camp, keep it locked in a cooler
2. Clean up all garbage around your camp site, do not leaving anything out
3. If you do see a bear, do not approach it and let it do it's thing
4. If a bear does approach you, do not turn tail and run it will think your its prey and it will hunt u down. Instead face the bear head on, make as much noise as you can, bears hate noises espically metal clanking, it will run up the tree or back into the bush.
I have grown up around bears and in my 30 years on this planet in my area I can only recall 3 attacks, all 3 were brought on the humans themselves. I have had a yearling bear walk right up to me within 2 feet, it looked at me and then sauntered off back into the bush to eat garbage, not once did the bear charge at me or try to attack.
See here's the thing most humans (yourself included) need to understand and thats NEVER put yourself in a position to rely on self defense, always use self-awarness which means using common sense, not letting fear dictate and being aware of your surrondings.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Art GLv 77 years ago
Look into this with someone who might be an expert in this. However, my thought is that bear smells blood God only knows what he's liable to do. Please check into this as you may want to postpone your trip to post period time.