When cooking veg on the stove top in a steamer is it better to put the lid on to contain the heat or leave it off so the steam can flow up?

• br549
    Favorite Answer

Yep, lid on is a must! The steam is still forced "up," but also forced into the vegetables rather than allowed to escape!

Also, a bit of wine adds a nice taste to them too!

• C.M. C

Ozzie, if you do not have a lid on your pot, your defeating the purpose of the steaming purpose.

What I use a lot, are the Asian bamboo steamers, I can stack them with different ingredients to be steamed, and just sit them on the wok with water in the base.

I can actually take those steamers directly to table for serving.

Lid on.You want to contain the steam.

Lid on.