Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 6 years ago

Questions on joining the RCMP?

I am female, of aboriginal decent, and bilingual. Im only 16 now, but id really like to apply at 18. Also my dad is in the RCMP, but not the aboriginal policing. Id really like to do the aboriginal policing however.

1. I was wondering if my dad being RCMP helps? Due to him being RCMP I have moved all across Canada and have experience moving all the time and adapt easily (Lived in BC, AB, ONT, and NS).

2. Isnt it easier to get in the aboriginal progaram? I have a friend here whos in it and she says it was easier for her to do that instead.

3. What kind of volunteer work is best? So far ive only gone to animal shelters to help out.

4. I currently live in Pictou County Nova Scotia. If I move to Dartmouth, NS for a bit durring the time of which I apply to the RCMP, can I request which reserve Id like to be transfered to (such as the pictou landing reserve). I wouldnt live in Pictou when I ask to be placed there, as I understand I cannot be placed where I currently live, hence the reason I move to Dartmouth.

5. Do you have any control whatsoever of where you are first placed?

6. What are my chances of getting in at 19 (when applying at 18)? I know its rare but I feel I have adavantages and experience that many do not have at my age. Ive moved all around the country every couple years, im bilingual, aboriginal, female, and in very good shape. Ive taken first aid courses, karate, and had a little volunteer work (I plan on doing a lot more up until I apply)

• bw022
    Favorite Answer

1. Not really. He may be able to help you prepare and give you advice. However, joining at 18 is not common.

2. The RCMP considers a number of factors in applications. It is fairly competitive, but the force does tend to hire visible majorities and First Nations groups are often sought after since many postings are in remote communities in/near First Nations communities. However, it would still be best to ensure the rest of your resume looks as good a possible.

Most applicants today typically have taken a two year law enforcement course. It isn't 100% necessary, but it certainly helps. That typically means you don't apply at 18. If you are going to apply at 18, then you should do as much non-academic training as possible. Take a defensive driving course (possibly even the light bus/ambulance license), get your first aid certification, take your PAL safety course and possibly even obtain your PAL or even a restricted firearm license, swimming or even lifeguard certification, consider taking a martial art (Judo or BJJ), take up running, etc. You already speak French which is a big bonus.

3. Lots. Join a Blockwatch program and attend as many free meetings and seminars as possible. Soup kitchens, food banks, homeless shelters, community health programs, CIBC, etc. are all good. Fundraising, political campaigns, community events, etc. Big Brothers/Big Sisters, scouts/cubs/beavers, summer camps for children, etc. are all good as they force a criminal background check.

4-5. No. That is the main disadvantage of the RCMP. Postings are based on seniority and new recruits are typically assigned posting which more senior RCMP officers don't want. Initial posting tent to be more remote communities rather than large communities where most RCMP want to be stationed -- less crime, easier to raise a family, easier for a spouse to find work, more services. You will typically have a choice of which remote community you want to be posted in.

6. No way of knowing until you apply. Again, most RCMP members have some post secondary education these days -- typically a two year law enforcement diploma, or a year of two of university civic, pre-law, etc. However, if you are really strong in non-academic training -- first aid, driving, PAL/firearms safety, swimming, self-defence, bilingual, etc. -- then there is always a possibility. Post-secondary training is not a requirement.

However, you can always apply at 18 and see if you get in. If not, take a two year law enforcement or civics diploma and then apply again. Finally, you can always talk with a recruiter.

• Lv 7
      6 years agoReport

RCMP postings are not seniority based. Yes seniority can play a roll but is not the deciding factor. Staffing decides where you are needed most and that is where you go. Often junior members go to the hell holes nobody else wants so staffing will owe them one when it is time for the next transfer