Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 6 years ago

What can periodontitis do?

So I have some symptoms that show I could possibly have periodontitis. But I can't be sure for another 2 months since that is when my appointment for checkup is. So I was wondering can periodontitis give some heart diseases or things like that? Thanks.

• Angela
    Favorite Answer

It eats away the bone and makes you lose your teeth. It can be fairly rapid- a few years to a few decades. It also causes an incredible amount of inflammation, which is the same inflammation which is found in heart disease and clogged arteries. The ADA and the AMA are arguing over which came first, the chicken or the egg here, but people with gum disease do have heart disease and vice versa. We also find people with diabetes and hormone imbalances have high rates of gum disease.

Source(s): dentist

Yes. But if you are having regular check ups every six months and the dentist has not said anything about periodontal disease then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. The whole link between periodontal disease and heart disease is that the having gum disease can increase your risk of developing heart disease because of the inflammation.