A question for atheists. Do I believe in creationism or evolution?

I am a bit confused. I am an orthodox Sikh and as per my religion we human beings and other life forms came into existence from god. According to my religion millions years ago the universe expanded (similar to bing bang) and that life forms were created in water first and then on the land. There are some verses in my religious book dealing with the creation of human beings and that they were first simple and "insect" like creatures which later evolved to become various creatures like fishes, oxes, birds etc. We believe that there are countless planets, stars and galaxies.

We reject the idea of adam and eve, that the universe is only few thousand years old etc. but we still believe in a creator so what category do my beliefs fit in?

I found this video on youtube-

http://youtu.be/zt3DktnGUgY

Youtube thumbnail

Quotes from my religious text-

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Guru_Granth_Sahib

Favorite Answer

I have to assume it's just another deist based religion; you believe in a god thingie

however it's interesting what you say here about the faith having parallels with what really happened like all things evolving from previous organisms; without the god thing of course.

pretty cool, but I'll have to look that up to see what else I might have missed.

note: your religion has a lot of ritual and superstition though. Those things are primitive like most religions that have been around for so long.

There are quite a few of us who do believe in both... I have no issues with the idea that God said "let there be..." and everything went "bang"...

that said, what I study is biology, so when we are talking evidence.. that's all biology (evolution), and physics (big bang), and chemistry (abiogenesis). My beliefs of the divine have no bearing on the science. Is God there? I don't really know... if he is there is no experiment to be done to prove it... but if he is there.. he set forth a whole set of rules for how our reality works, and those are fascinating to me, regardless of if they are of a divine origin or not.

Sikhs accept evolution. They deny that the Universe is only a couple thousand years old and say it is so old that only the Creator knows.

• Tony

It seems that your religion believes in evolution, but in this case the evolution was kick-started by God, provided I'm not misinterpreting the information. It would be evolution then.

• Mark

Maybe evolution was the mean used to create. That possibility generally make creationists nuts

Why does it matter to you what others think your beliefs are your own not anyone elses, no one can tell you what to believe in or not.

LOL. Creationism.

Furthermore; LOL.

That being said, I believe in the one that has evidence..

• I accept facts, belief does not enter into it

creationism what a crock of sh it