Becoming a surgeon with one eye?

Hi there, I wanted to ask your opinions on becoming a surgeon if you have one eye. I have both eyes, but am blind in one of them, and have been that way since I was born, and have thus grown up dealing with it, so it's normal for me. I've wanted to be a surgeon for the longest time, and starting medical school next year (deferred offer), I feel it's within reach. Do you think it would be a problem if I only have one good eye? I'm dedicated to learning what has to be done, and am ambidextrous (just as a note). Thanks

DO NOT LISTEN TO PHILIP. FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!!!! if you're able to get into medical school, it clearly shows that u can keep up just as well as anyone else. be a surgeon. even if it doesn't work out, there are still jobs that require a surgeons training which are very similar to being a surgeon, without having the need to have another eye. (ie: behind the computer recording the observations, doing surgeries through a machine onto a human etc...)

I doubt - but I'm not certain - that your having only one functioning eye will preclude surgery as a specialty. Even if it does, go to medical school and you may find you prefer some other specialty within medicine.

If you wish to have a more reliable answer to this question, pose it to the dean of the medical school which you will be attending.

Good luck.

I think that without the needed depth perception required to correctly perform surgery that this would not be a good idea without a miracle of science that allowed you to have a second eye or a newfound perception of depth. I've seen technology rising of machines that do the surgery and surgeons just sitting back and pressing buttons, but we're still a long ways off from that becoming a reality in very high budget surgery facilities. I wish you the best of luck in this path, but do not expect this to be possible to get hired in this field like this, it very well may be impossible in your lifetime.

1

Source(s): Secrets To Improve Eyesight : http://ImproveEyesight.uzaev.com/?aYQA

I think u should do it shouldn't really matter that u only have one eye you still have another perfectly good eye and there are many unique doc/surgeons from being deaf to having no legs many people may judge u but not many people have the courage to actually ask other people about what they think especially cuz there's a chance they might say something negative and plus its ur dream and I don't think they would of accepted you into medical school if they thought that you would have a problem