Jake asked in Social SciencePsychology · 6 years ago

Is selfs arm really a way of relief or just poor choice of attention seeking?

Just curious.

Favorite Answer

It can be either, or both.

To be blunt, I started because I was attention seeking (and now looking back, a little obsessed with being different from others). But once I started, I couldn't quit - in fact, I self harmed for 3 and a half years afterwards - and it was purely for relief.

I wasn't depressed, suicidal, or wanting to be some kind of disturbed goth. My close friends have later told me they never guessed I was doing it! I was happy, actually.

But when you have conflict in your life, you need to deal with it, and I just developed an unhealthy way of doing it. When I was frustrated, the pain physically and mentally distracted me, I can only describe it to the relieved feeling you get after crying.

Thank goodness, I've stopped! It's been years! I never should've started though.

That was probably more than you needed to know, but I hope I thoroughly answered your question. Self harming can be a serious, serious problem.

Source(s): Dumb experience

there's lots of sides.

You have the side where some people do it just for attention and they do not think of the consequences of their act. They kind of mock the ones who self-harm. They don't know how much self-harming is serious.

You have another side: Some people do it just to relieves the pain and feelings inside of them. It kind of help them getting through tough moments ( according to them). It's a way for them to control the pain, either they do it deep (which hurts probably more then just a simple cut) or not.

and you have another side where other human beings do it just once because of a panic or anxiety attack. They probably couldn't control themselves and their mind won, therefore they did it but swore to never try it again.

Finally, self-harming is a very serious problem and if you know someone who's doing it or if you ever fell like doing it ( if you're not already on it), i highly suggest you to seek for some help. They shouldn't go through this alone, it's not easy to ask for help, but sometimes, it's the only solution. They need to know that someone is there for them.

i hope i helped you ( and sorry if there's some mistakes, English is not my maternel language )xx

It really depends on the person, some are just attention seekers, but others do it because it helps them in some way. Another reason people will cut is that it becomes compulsive.

It is not a healthy way to deal with emotional pain, but some people will turn to it.

Source(s): I have MDD (major depressive disorder) and go to highschool

Most hide their 'self harm' stripes so I do not' see it as an attention getting situation.

See, I don't think that anyone who does that is attention seeking. They do it cause they feel that by doing this, one is punishing themselves and that this is what they deserve.