Accepted a Job A Week Ago, Was Offered a Better One A week After?

Last week, I was offered a job, and two days later they gave me my username and password for training online that I'd do at home. The thing is; they haven't taken my info for pay, or background checks, they just did it on the spot and never told me if I was getting paid for the training part.

A week after, I receive a job offer that is better suited for me, and I'm nervous of what to tell the first employer that offered me a job, because I've never had this situation before.

What should I do, and what should I tell the first employer?

The only piece of information they (the first job) has is my resume, that's it, and nothing else.

The 2nd job has already given me contracts and has informed me of how much I will be getting paid. Whereas the 1st one has done nothing to inform me of my first day and pay.

Favorite Answer

Personally, I would go with the second job. Just call/email/go in person and let them know you found another job opportunity that better fits you and thanks anyway and best of luck to them.

I've been in that situation before, where I had sent out several job applications and the first place that interviewed me hired me on the spot. The next day, I got a call from the other place and they wanted to offer me a job too, and it sounded even better than the one I just started. I wound up sticking it out with the first job, but always wished I had just gone with the second, but a little too late, opportunity.

There is nothing to be nervous about. Nothing bad will happen if you change your mind about taking a job. People do it all the time. It won't be a problem for the company as the other applicants will probably still be available.

If you don't have a contract, a start date and they're perhaps waiting to view the results of your training before making it formal.

Will the second one give you a contract and make it formal?

It is of course down to you and what you feel comfortable with.

• ANJ6 years agoReport

I feel comfortable with the 2nd job because they were organized and sent me everything I needed to start and how much I'd be payed.

The 1st one just told me to log in and do the courses and then call them back when i'm done, no paper work, no pay info, nothing else.

• tro

if you don't complete the online information it won't matter, they will see you are not completing it and go on to the next applicant