I'm confused about sixth forms, colleges, and universities, and which path I want to take?

Ok, so I am currently in year 10 (UK - Age 15) and have one year left of secondary school, which will be year 11, until I make a decision on whether to go to a sixth form, or a college.

I am fairly certain that what I want to do when I am older is to become an orthopedic surgeon, specifically a spinal surgeon. I am also aware that I am required to have A* A and A grade in A levels, in order to have a chance of entering a university, specifically Oxford's Medical department.

However, I am not aware of how the College to University works. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Aaron
    Favorite Answer

Well, here's the thing. When you near the end of Year 11, so May next year, you will take your final GCSE exams, and I hope you achieve the best that you can in them.

Now to the opposite pole. At the beginning of Year 11, you will submit applications to colleges that interest you, including your own school's 6th form if it has one. They will give you an offer, outlining the grades that you will have to get in your final exams to be accepted into the college.

Then, you will study four subjects at college in the first year, and most probably drop down to three subjects in the second year. At the end of both years, you will take exams in the subjects you have studied during the year.

At the beginning of the second year of college, you will submit applications to universities. They may offer you a place depending on the grades you received in the exams you took at the end of the first year of college.

From there on, just keep studying, receive the grades outlined in your offers and good luck!

If your school has a career advisor then I definitely recommend talking to them about it as they'd be able to sit down with you and discuss what would be best for your career and for you individually. Some people prefer the freedom of college where as some people prefer sixth from because they work better where they're in a school environment. The careers advisor can also explain the processes of applying for a college and you can even ask them to help you fill in an application form if you wanted to. They can also explain the next step with UCAS although I know my college explained UCAS to everyone in their second year in really good depth and were always there to help.