Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Just because it moves and it's alive, are we allowed to eat it?

Insects, sea food that crawls deep on the ocean floor, other species too? Should all go down? Where do you set the line?

Favorite Answer

Jesus said it is not what a person eats that makes them impure. In so saying, He effectively overturned the man-made Levitical rules about ritual dietary purity.

There are legitimate biological reasons for not chowing down on poison ivy, raw shellfish and scorpions. Not because a collection of bronze-age myths and superstitions forbids it, but because the science of chemistry can repeatably verify that these are hazardous to human health. Fished from unpolluted waters and properly cooked, many bottom-feeding shellfish, shrimp, lobster and crabs are both delicious and rich in valuable omega-3 fats.

Why does a line need to be set? Nature placed us at the top of the food chain, and our bodies need more nutrients than can easily be obtained from plant foods alone. As long as we are not killing and consuming our fellow human beings, I don't have a problem with eating foods that were once alive. Other animals kill for food. They're not vegetarians.

For that matter, plants are also alive. Are you planning to starve to death rather than kill any living thing for food?

As for the Donner Party mentioned by someone: I wouldn't kill a human being for food, but in extremis, I might consume one that had died of other causes. That's been done in a number of life-threatening situations.

• glcang

We are still a very immature un- evolved species. The time will come when to eat the flesh of another being will seem unthinkable. Just don't hold your breath because it may be a while.

• Symos

Considering as far as I'm aware the only things never alive to begin with we consume are salt and water, I think life is fair game. But remember we make a tasty snack for other lifeforms too.

It's up to you. Some people are vegetarians, in many places they eat insects as cheap source of protein...It depends on culture, too.

Allowed by whom? We are animals. We are omnivores. We can eat whatever we want, but we seem to do best when we eat what apes eat. Mostly vegetation, a little meat once in a while, no grains. Imagine that!

• Aaron

The OT forbid eating shellfish, and although the dietary laws don't exist anymore, they were given for a good reason. Shrimp, lobster, crabs, etc are not clean creatures. They're bottom feeders.

From what I understand, lobster meat is basically dried mucus inside the shell. That's enough for me! LOL!

"Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is constructive." -1 Corinthians 10:23

Translation: You can eat anything you want, but is it really a good idea? Between that greasy cheeseburger and the strawberry chicken salad, what do you think is the better option?

• JOHN

The line is set by extreme hunger!

yes, if it can be chewed safely we eat it somewhere in the world...

and even then there's some exceptions (Fugu puffer for example and those idiots who eat dirt or their own pee)

so fire up the barbeques.