Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 6 years ago

Is a wife owned by her husband?

From what my friends have said, i feel as in they think that a husbands owns his wife.

I got married 2 months back, and just last week while at a club. A guy approached my wife, while i was not around her. I don't know what his intentions were, but he was flirting with her openly. I was watching all this from away but didn't do anything about it. From what i feel, she is an independent grown woman and she can do whatever she wants. I have absolutely no right to restrict her from talking to someone.

Of course, she flirted back as well. After hearing my story, my friends are actually making fun of me, they think i need to man up and make every guy know that she belongs to me or she is taken! I don't what to say in all this?, i was raised by my mother that a man does not own his wife.

My wife has a lot of friends both male and females, and she quite openly goes out with them on weekends. Sometimes she comes home after 3 am. But how can i ever question her at all ? She even has her male friends coming over to my house, while i am outside or she goes out with them. She has never told me about her plans and frankly doesn't have to either.

But the way my friends keep making my life a joke, is hurting me. What am i going wrong here ? She is an adult woman and has every right to go out with anyone she feels like without informing me. Regardless to how i feel in all this, i just don't have any right over her. If she wants to flirt with another guy, i can't stop her.

The only right i feel i have is, the right to divorce if i feel this marriage won't work out. Apart from that i don't have a say in her life. She can do whatever she wants to.

Favorite Answer

Divorce her ASAP..move on. I would suggest you to try staying single, it's way better

• Kelly

Your friends are wrong but your wife is also being inappropriate.

Your wife is still living the life of a single woman, not a married one. Going out with friends here and there is fine, however going out frequently til 3AM and you have no idea where or who she is with is an issue. Your wife is showing little respect for you, especially when she's flirting with guys in front of you. She's also showing little respect for herself.

Behaviors your wife is displaying often leads to cheating. Not, always but usually.

My husband and I don't need to be joined at the hip with each other 24/7, we both have things we do separate from each other but generally I always know where he is and he always knows where I am and we usually know who the other is with. We're respectful of each others privacy. Yes, there does need to be some privacy in marriage. If I wanted to go on vacation to Hawaii without my husband, he'd be fine with it. He's doing on a guys trip in a few weeks, and there's no issue with that.

Neither of you owns the other but you need to have a high level of respect for the other, which your wife isn't displaying a lot for you.

• Ron

your friends are right to get on you ... that's there job

your wife was a ***** for flirting back ... if a guy approached her .. the first thing out of her mouth should be "no thanks" and if it continues that's when you come over and slap the guy in the face

she is NOT an adult .. you and her are now ONE being ...

You could have said something, if they were openly flirting. You can allow her to be independent, but you're not a doormat. You could have just said, "Hey, uh, you guys want me to arrange a fukcing ROOM for you?" Then walked out. To say nothing looked wuss. Sorry, but that's my take on it. It's about your self respect, not really about her. They were disrespectful to you.

Wives are humans not anyones property! If your friends think this they must be very insecure and controlling and personally I would find new friends.

Maybe in Iran, Syria, etc. Nobody thinks tha way in the us.