Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 5 years ago

What are good ways to soothe period cramps?

Every time my period comes around I get horrible cramps and back pain, I've tried heating pad, no caffeine, deep breathing and a bunch of other stuff, none of it works. Please help me!

• Wukong

The heating pad or hot water bottle should help a little.

The advice to take caffeine is bad. Caffeine is not included in any painkiller for medicinal reasons.

You are not alone, as 50% of menstruating women have an undesirable experience month after month. NSAIDs (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) only mask the pain for a few short hours. Chinese herbal medicine, on the other hand, has been used for many centuries with well-documented results.

Groups of Chinese herbs, also known as formulas, are more beneficial than single herb remedies because the herbs work synergistically for conditions such as menstrual cramps.

Here are a few common Chinese herbs for menstrural cramps: There are several others, too.

Dong Gui (Chinese Angelica or Angelica Sinensis)

Chuan Xiong (Chuanxiong Rhizoma)

Bai Shao (White Peony Root)

Yi Mu Cao (Chinese Motherwort)

Yan Hu Suo (Corydalis Rhizome)

You should go to a Chinese medicine shop. (That is not some drug store that sells a few junk Chinese teas in packets)

The doctor will check you out (that is, he will ask you to place both your hands in his, while he looks into your eyes - this will tell him your general physical state, pulses, temperature and blood pressure. He/she may also want to place a hand on your lower abdomen, to check for specific body heat there, but maybe not. He will ask questions - they may possibly seem unusual - be completely honest - he is trying to assess your complete physiology. Trust the Chinese doctor, they are very serious about what they do, since there is very little money in it). Then they will make up a formula specific to your personal needs. Probably a tea. If you cannot make the tea yourself, they will do it for you, and you go back at the agreed times to drink it.

They may give you some dietary advice.

Do exactly what they tell you.

Results may not necessarily be instantaneous. Chinese medicine is more about treating the cause, rather than just the symptoms

They will probably want you to come back and see them again, so they can check how you are getting on, and maybe adjust the formula slightly.

I do not know how it is in America, but in China, if the medicine does not work - you do not pay. You only pay for the cure.

Source(s): My wife is a doctor - Medical Director to our whole county (in China), and practices both Western and Chinese Traditional medicine.

I can't get rid of my back pains, but, when I'm at home I can lie on my couch in the fetal position (legs and arms bent towards your stomach. Like a fetus in the womb). At school I take Advil in the morning to kick it before they come. I eat chocolate chip banana muffins, cause a bit of chocolate helps me and the potassium in bananas helps, but I don't like bananas so I eat muffins. Good luck :)

Greens, eats lots of greens and bananas. NO CHOCOLATE. It worsens cramping. LOTS of water, girl. Tea with honey. Have someone massage your lower back. Showers when you can. Stretch out a bit. Go for a run. Be active.

If your cramps are not letting up, see your doctor. Go to the OBGYN. They'll talk to you, and prescribe you birth control. This helps a crap ton.

Source(s): I have awful cramps

Drink Lots of water.

Applying heat to your abdomen and lower back to relieve pain. If you don’t have a hot water bottle or heating pad, take a warm bath or use a hot towel. Or, you can make your own heating pad by following the instructions below:

Cut and sew together two pieces of fabric, leaving a hole at the top.

Fill with rice and sew up the hole.

Microwave for a few minutes to desired temperature. Do not overheat!

Let cool, if necessary. Or wrap rice bag in a towel to reduce heat transfer. Reuse as necessary.

Avoid foods like dairy and caffeine it actually increases period pain.

Avoid Salty Food

Hope this helps

Caffeine is GOOD for PMS! It's in almost all over the counter pain relievers. If you're in the fetal position because of it for longer than a day, I'd go to the dr. If they're just really really bad cramps, try moving the heating pad to your lower back. Drink lots and lots of water, with or without ibuprophen; it will help bring your white blood cells to count, and try taking a low dosage of iron or eat a lot of iron filled foods a day or two before your period starts. A good sign of when you're about to start is if you notice you're bruising easier than normal.

chocolate