Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?

Gender Studies - Why do some men in GS think rape is not a problem on college and university campuses?

Can you show me stats that say it's not?

If you look at the answers to these questions, they all said they did not believe the stats.

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20...

For you info:

This is a U.S. Department of Justice PDF document - https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/1823... PAGE 10

`...the data suggest that nearly 5 percent (4.9 percent) of college women are victimized in any given calendar year. Over the course of a college career—which now lasts an average of 5 years—the percentage of completed or attempted rape victimization among women in higher educational institutions might climb to between one-fifth and one-quarter.``

Favorite Answer

Some of my friends worked at the sexual assault centre when I was at University. Rape and sexual assaults are huge problems on campuses. I don't believe the stat that 1 in 4 university females get raped though...that one is not correct (sexual assault maybe, but not rape, as they used to say). But, rape is still far too prevalent.

OK, GS guys that don't think the feminists should be trying to speak out against rape on college campuses, do you think you would feel the same way if your daughter were at university?

• Elana

NOT A ONE of those answers said it was not a problem. Not a one. That is a completely bogus summation of what these answerers said.

However, most of them are pushing back on the assertions that feminists on campus make: That it is an epidemic, etc.

The ONLY statistics that say that are surveys backed with an ever-changing definition of rape and sexual assault, authored by feminists.

Sure, if you keep changing the definition of rape to include more and more different types of incidents, it will appear that the rape statistic is growing. However, if you were to ask the same questions asked 10 years ago vs. now, we have every reason to believe the numbers are the same or shrinking. Similarly, if you were to have asked today's questions 10 years ago and done the comparison, we believe the numbers would be the same or shrinking.

"Every reason" comes from the DOJ statistics of actual crimes REPORTED. The only way the numbers from the DOJ of crimes reported give with the feminist assertion (glommed onto by the Obama administration) that the number of sexual assaults or rapes is growing is if more and more women are chosing to not report incidents:

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables...

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv10.pdf

http://www.iwf.org/news/2432517/One-in-Four-Rape-m...

That's not to say there aren't real rapes, and obviously that is a problem, but if feminists keep changing the definition, FEMINISTS lose the credibility to push getting fixes. They become an impediment to decreasing the number of actual rapes.

As long as feminists keep using bogus scientific techniques (i.e. comparing the results of old surveys with new surveys where the surveys ask different questions), they will continue to have less and less credibility.

As long as they do this to inflate rape statistics, they will lose credibility AND ultimately stifle society's real help for the problem.

If feminists really are trying to decrease the number of actual rapes, they are their own worst enemy.

• Johnny

In reference to your question, you linked a feminist special interest site that was presenting statistics that do not match what they were referencing. They claimed a 10% conviction rate for rape and referenced the FBI. The FBI reports a 42% conviction rate. The links you used were to bad information presented by a special interest group that made you look silly or else suited your irrational misandry.

Not one person claimed that rape is not a problem but pointed out that your statistics were flawed and not able to be used to present a case. To reiterate... I do not believe your stats because they are fundamentally flawed and dishonest.

As a follow on presenting fake statistics about rape devalues the actual subject and does the real victims of rape an injustice by making uneducated people assume that all rape statistics are false. If you really care about the victims of rape you should stop misrepresenting in order to spread hate about men.

• Neo

Rape is a problem no matter where it happens.

Most of the responders to that question were questioning the validity of the "stats" used to draw conclusions about college rape and sexual assault. Those men find rape to be a reprehensible act which needs to be investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The key word here being law. We can't start implementing policies based on feelings which could very well take away someone's freedom and liberty without any significant burden of proof.

• ?

It is not just the rape cases that go virtually unpunished at the universities. They try to keep the investigations "in house" to prevent bad publicity. No matter what the crime is. And when that is the culture of the universities, many things are left unpunished.

An example is Penn State, that allowed someone working for the university to molest young boys for over 20 years, before anything was ever done, and then it was because of outside law enforcement, or it would never have been publicized .

It has nothing to do with men versus women. It is the monied class protecting their wealth. All things are not punished on a par with the outside world. It is not just rape.

Guys i'm going to let you in on a little secret. Basically for the last 2 or so months i've been making $4000 /month by cheating at online roulette. I just watched a youtube video that taught me the method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMn3sdBcN...

• ?

"Gender Studies - Why do some men in GS think rape is not a problem on college and university campuses?"

Rape is a problem no matter where it occurs. But you are not asking that. You are asking people to prove that rape is not endemic in universities as is promulgated by the feminist lobby.

I believe it is first incumbent on you to provide actual crime statistics that show a problem. Not to have others show there isn't a problem. Otherwise I could ask you to prove that there isn't an epidemic of false rape allegations.

• ?

I don't see anything in the question you link to indicate anyone said rapes are not a problem on college campuses.

Rapes occur both on and off college campuses as do robberies, muggings, assaults, battery, and even murders. It is because such problems exist, that we have a police force and judicial system which should be the ones investigating felony crimes, not college hearing boards.

As the article you previously linked stated, colleges are being sued for their mishandling of such crimes which is one of the reasons the problem of crime should be handled by those trained to do so and not by college judicial systems.

Your question did not show any men saying that rape is not a problem. The question showed you linking junk reports to try spreading hate. Misandry is as bad as misogyny and you are a bad person for your agenda of hatred.

• ?

The reason why I personally find it hard to trust college campus rape statistics is because of the fact that a woman can actively participate in sex, but if she was drunk she can say she was raped. Rape is a very serious crime, and I think that grossly trivializes it. I have no idea how common that is, but EVERYONE should take ownership of their actions when they choose to become intoxicated.

"Colleges attract rapists because college girls are young, beautiful, naive..."

---explains why so many of them become feminists. B/c they're naive.

Toby. Male avatar. Invited you to play roulette. So... I guess that blows that 'all' bit out of the water, eh?

Common Sense, oh, look, he (?) explains his skepticism. Maybe you should have read it and taken it to heart. Maybe there's more to the story then just "Going to college = rape".

Zante, asks if you can prove it. I guess he (?) is a fan of 'burden of proof'. That *******. To not immediately accept your assertions. He probably kicks puppies too.

Jerry explains his (?) position.

I'm just going to assume that the rest of them tried to explain it to you as well.

Damn the skeptics for not being gullible sheeple who'll just swallow anything anyone says. That's why I totally hate people who don't just believe everything. I believe in God but I also believe in Zeus and Galactus and Santa!