Are tap water in USA safe to drink ?

Even people say it is safe, can it be depends on the House's water pipes ? If people says they are not safe. If I boil the water, will it be safe to drink ?

Is it just me, people can't taste different tap water and mineral water. When I compared the taste. Tap water tasted horrible. It taste like dusty water. Is it because of my house's water pipe ? My house is quite old.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

Yes, tap water is safe in the USA. Perhaps if you live in the country you are getting water from a well instead of "city water". In that case, it may taste different than what you are used to. Boiling the water will take out any germs and bacteria, but it seems like an unnecessary step unless the city has called for a "boil-warning". Perhaps trying to filter the water will give you a more enjoyable taste? Brita makes filters that you can hook directly to your faucet.

• RoyS
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Some very old homes may still have cast iron pipes, which may cause the water to be rusty, but you would see that, as the water would have a brownish tint. Most cities and towns treat their water with the addition of chlorine and fluoride, which will add a taste to the water.

Usually, the tap water across the US is safe to drink, unless there has been a broken water main, and that would be announced on local radio and TV stations. Did you just move in to the house? It might just take a while for you to get used to the taste of the water.

• rowlfe
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

In a word: YES

Most water comes from a city water system that treats the water. The source is either wells, reservoirs or other water sources. My county uses wells that pump water into holding tanks located on top of hills. Water is treated with chlorine in the holding tanks and gravity drained to houses. Some people have their own wells. Chlorine kills bacteria. Filters are sometimes used in some places to remove minerals. The taste of water comes from minerals and dissolved gasses. Your tap has an "aerator" on the end to add air to the water. This adds CO2 that makes the water slightly acidic, which gives water a "sharp" or "crisp" taste.

A few years back, I lived in a rural area where we had no running water. Our water came from a year round creek from melting snow on the top of a mountain. There was snow the year round, so the creek always had water. We dammed the creek to make a shallow pool and then used a small pump to move water to a 1000 gallon cistern close to the cabin. From the cistern, water went through a filter system that removed minerals and bacteria. The last step was to go through a "flash boiler" which removed any remaining bacteria and minerals and into a 50 gallon holding tank up under the roof. Water then gravity drained to the faucets in the cabin. It was a rather complex system and was powered by solar panels.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

let the water run for several minutes and taste again. if it tastes just as bad it's not the plumbing's fault. boiling it will force out any dissolved gases, chlorine included, which may or may not be responsible for some of the taste but it's an overkill. chances are that is you get a glass of tap water from a restaurant near by it will taste just as bad to you. still safe to drink.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

yes people earth into clean, pure,safe drinking water

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.