Anonymous

Can you take university courses in completely different categories?

I want to major in computer programming but also take a writing course, biochemistry, and another course in social studies. Is this possible? Does it cost more than choosing courses in the same field? I've never really been educated on these details. Thank you

Favorite Answer

Most likely. Depending on your college, you will be required to take a few courses outside of your major. Courses usually include a standard writing course, a history/politics/gov./etc. (social studies basically) course, a science course for non-science related majors (or a science course outside of a student's science major), sometimes a math class or two (or A LOT more for most science majors), etc. Personally, I go to Michigan State University, and major in astrophysics. My major (at my school, at least) does not have any room for electives, and I tested out of all of my general education courses (TAKE AP CLASSES, they help), so the only class outside of my major I get to take is Entomology (study of insects) because my school requires students in the College of Natural Science to take a science course unrelated to their major. It won't cost more because it will most likely be required of you to take them unless you have transfer credit that meets the requirements for those courses. You're going to want to take courses outside of your major, but not if they slow you down from graduating within four years (for a BA or BS).

Source(s): current undergraduate

Yes, in fact, you are required to take classes in five different categories (at least in the UC system.) These are called breadth requirements. You are expected to choose from a menu of classes in each category: Arts, Sciences, Social Science, Mathematics and Humanities, I believe. Be sure to go to an orientation for your university if it is offered. Read the requirements for graduation and the specific requirements for your major. These are available in a student handbook or online.