Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 5 years ago

Can computer engineers find out who visits them on facebook and other social networks etc?

I mean they have a degree in understanding computer hardware and software, so do they know how to track who looks at their profile...computer name, IP address or anything at all.

Answer from computer engineer would be helpful.

• Chris
    Best Answer

It depends. Like God said, if one can use HTML code in one's profile, one can implement an image that links to a script on a server, and everybody who visits the profile will request the image and thus allow that server to store the IP address and OS, time, etc.

If the social network sanitizes text and only allows images that are uploaded to their servers, there's no way to track visitors unless you work at the social network and have direct access.

Also, getting from an IP to actual user information is pretty difficult and in general impossible unless you are in law enforcement.

• God
      5 years agoReport

I will disagree, once you cross-reference the IP addresses (which are going to be most likely from friends) with timestamps for posts and locations you can easily tell who and when. Add a cookie in the mix and you can still track if the IP changes. Just trust me on this one...

• God

I can find out who visits MY website as I have full control over the code. I could see who visited my myspace page in it's days of glory. Pretty much anything that allows me to embed a third-party image or javascript.