Do you think Eddie's "Eruption" is overated?

I think all it is, is just playing random notes but going nowhere. He seems to just run up and down the scales. I've seen Kirk Hammett just noodle around the guitar just as Eddie does on Eruption, and that amazes me more than Eddie. Eddie comes up with great solos, and has a very underated rhythm playing, but I just think Eruption isn't as good as people think it is.

Ask any rock guitarist from Slash, Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Hendrix(R.I.P), Angus Young to noodle around and I'm sure they would probably do what Eddie's doing.

Favorite Answer

You're right. it's not all that difficult to play EVH style. But that's because EVH basically invented it for you and all his predecessors to learn and develop. So Russell is right, the approach to playing guitar the way EVH did had not be done before. Hendrix, Page, Joe Perry all would have had to learn a new technique to have done what EVH did. Sure they could have done it, but it would have taken them time and practice just like anyone else. Those big arpeggios that EVH taps out was a fairly obscure technique that only guitarists like Richie Blackmore and Steve Hackett were doing, Hendrix and the gang would have turned them into chords and been stuck there.

And yeah "Eruption" is just EVH noodling around, sooo? It sounds really cool. Rock music isn't about sitting down with a quill and parchment and composing a piece of music before even touching an instrument. Letting off some of that cocaine anxt through impulsive guitar flailing is what that era of rock was all about.

What EVH did back then was groundbreaking. If you are not a guitar player, or grew up in the 60's and 70's, then you have no business judging.

Basically, what Eddie did in the late 70's was like what Jimi Hendrix did in the 60's. He revolutionized electric guitar soloing, without him, Modern metal would not exist and we'd all be playing disco music.

Eddie brought hard rock guitar back into the forefront. All the heavy bands of the 70's were going disco and radio "pop" friendly.

I lived and played guitar in those times, my young friend...True, it was basically "noodling" but based on new techniques and within a "structure". Nobody had EVER heard anything like it.

As for your 2nd assumption..NONE of the players you mentioned could do what Eddie did or does. Maybe Hammett. But Jimmy Page, Slash, Angus, Hendrix... no way.

That type of playing requires skills that none of them developed.

Source(s): 45 yrs rock guitarist/former pro musician
  • Wahhhh. No one who is any good at anything takes a dump on something that was as complex and ahead of its time as Eruption was. Everyone can ***** and moan all they want. There's a reason he will be remembered in guitar history forever, and you'll never even have been heard of.

No. Before Eruption, before Eddie, nobody played rock guitar like that. Afterward, everybody copied him for about ten years straight.

Aside from being innovative and original, it's technically demanding. Try to learn to play any part of it and you'll see what I mean.

But you are welcome to have your own opinion.

• yowzer

personally I dislike that style of playing.

just because you can play lightning quick up and down the fretboard like your butt is on fire it doesn't mean you're actually playing anything.

it's just musical masturbation really,play me a frickin TUNE

Yes.

Not really