Cara asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 6 years ago

How is the ''ich'' pronounced in German?

Sometimes I think I hear a hard ''ick'' sound and other times it sounds more like a soft ''ish''.

In the phrase ''Ich bin Cara'' how would it be pronounced?

Update:

Poison Ivy, thank you! Your answer was great too :)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Rain
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Pronunciation-Day4: ich and ach - YouTube

pronounce ich in german

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbeY4RVi4WU

Youtube thumbnail

Learn how to pronounce the German 'ich' and 'ach' so Germans can understand you well. Next to ...

• 6 years ago

If you hear a hard "ick" sound then it's a mispronunciation, probably done by non-native speakers. As shown in the very good video stated by Rain, the soft CH is closer to the ish-sound, even if it's not really pronounced that way. It sounds similar to the H in "huge", "Hugh" or "humor".

As opposed to this, the hard CH (as in Loch Ness) only follows the vowels A, O and U.

Source(s): Regards from Germany
  • 6 years ago

Yes, you may hear all three from natives. The one with a sharp "ck" would probably be someone from Berlin.

If you want to have a go at the "standard" pronunciation, but don't know how, start with the "ick", say that a few times. Then, in stead of letting your tongue close totally in the position, where the "k" comes, you let some air flow through. The middle of your tongue stays higher than the tip of your tongue. If you do it vice versa - tip of the tongue higher or at same level as the middle is when the "isch" will come out of your mouth.

Have fun experimenting.

• 6 years ago

as above. You will sometimes hear an /ish/ sound for words with - ich - like ich, and Kirche - said by people from Cologne. That's a dialect pronunciation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • U Mad?
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

the "ch" is has a pronunciation that I can describe as being in between a coarse "h" sound, and a "sh" sound.

• JohnH
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

best is look up this in an online dictionary

like -< dict.leo.org

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.