banking / saving accounts?

If you are under the age of 18, (17 1/2) is it mandatory to have a parent or guardian with you to be able to open up your own savings/ checking account? As family becomes less and less trustworthy I wouldn't want anyone's name or ability to access the account on it other than my own.

Thanks for your time and answers!

Favorite Answer

In the US, until you are 18 you cannot open a bank account on your own. It has to be a custodial account. This provides the person who opened it on your behalf, access to the money.

The exception to this is if you are emancipated.

Call around. Some banks will allow you to have your own SAVINGS account below age 18.

Source(s): I asked at Chase bank.

Savings accounts almost always pay lower interest rates than Treasury bills and certificates of deposit, they should not be used for long-term holding periods.It is depending in future purpose .

Keep you money in a box until you're old enough to oen your account and then deposit it in. Good luck

Not in the UK it isn't.