Is cloud computing overrated?

Don't you think it's been made out to be too big a phenomenon? Cloud computing is fine but the whole idea of using "cloud" instead of your local hard disk is scary. What's wrong with saving your personal information in your own hard disk? Cloud is fine as a back-up but that's about it really.

• Favorite Answer

The reason for it is because most applications have a counter part on a mobile phone or other mobile device. There is a need for the application to access the same data whether you use your desktop or mobile, e.g facebook or even gmail is an example of using the 'cloud', even before the word 'cloud' came out. A good modern example is your word documents you need access to where ever you are. So the cloud is really much more than just 'backup'. Backup is really just one use of it...

I don't trust something that I can't lay hands on for data backup. Physical storage is very inexpensive these days. Anything that I need backed up is saved to at least 1 hard drive, optical disc, or thumb drive. Above all else, I know that my data is 100% secure because it is in my possession at all times. I don't need to worry about hackers or a remote server farm going down.

I suppose cloud computing has its use for non-essential items like music and video game purchases or for saving non-essential data. The ability of Steam or the PlayStation network to store duplicate save game files is very handy, for example. I upgrade my computer fairly often. Being able to re-download my games through Steam and pick up right where I left off on my old PC is a nice feature to have.

• Razor
      6 years agoReport

Thanks for your wonderful answer.

Hi Maddy so what fails on most PC's the hard drive. when it does it takes everything with it. so the best method is to burn a cd rom or a DVD with all your personal data on it. so simple even a child could do it.

however some are just so lazy they rely on the idea of the cloud. this as you say could be verity scary. data cane lost between your hard drive and the company providing the cloud server. like wise they could lose it.

• Razor
      6 years agoReport

I agree. Thanks for answering.