Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 6 years ago

Do I sound like a good, responsible kid?

I am 18. I don't have a job and I am entirely financially supported by my parents, but I am in university and get straight A's. I hang out with my friends and we sometimes act kind of immature, but we never do anything stupid. I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. I have never gotten in trouble with the law. I am a virgin and I have never even kissed a boy. I never stay out past curfew, I always do my chores, and I respect my parents and do as they say. I am always friendly with others and try not to give them a hard time. Do I sound like a good, responsible kid?

• K8
    Favorite Answer

In my opinion, in order to help with maturing you into an adult and in order for you to gain experience - you need a part time job.

You are respectful of yourself and your parents which is good and you are doing well in school, also good.

But you need many more life experiences and one of those is a job, another is to start paying for things on your own.

Getting a job involves not only having a job and all you will learn from that, but you will learn from the process of getting the job.

You also need to wean yourself off you parents finances and learn to manage money and bills. Get a job and start lessening what you need/take from them. Start now so that you can learn slowly over time taking on more and more responsibility.

I am the parent of an 18 and 21 year old and step parent of a 29 year old.

All have jobs, all have bank accounts. The 29 year old is completely on her own. The other two have their own bills and pay for a lot of their own stuff while in college. They also got their own college paid for (one through scholarships, work, and grants and one opted for community college to make it very affordable).

Wow, your parents are generous. Once I turn 18, I will have to pay my step mother the rent she charges to stay at home with her and my dad, or I'm out on my ear hole. This is until I have enough saved to move out. There's no way in a million years they would support me at all or allow me to stay in their house without paying once I'm legally an adult.

You have it easy, very easy. If I told my parents I wanted to stay at home, go to university and not work, they would take one look at me and laugh. Then my step mum would ask me 'Then how will you pay us the money so you can stay living here?'

But you sound like a good kid, but if I had it as easy as you, I would till want to get even a part time job so I could have my own money. If I got a job now, alongside my college course, my parents would take most of my wages until I have about £5-10 a week to myself. And that's to cover EVERYTHING, the money they would take would be for rent, ultilities etc.

No, you sound like a lazy and immature adult. You are 18 and don't even have a job, and you are financially supported by your parents, and you even admitted yourself that you and your friends are immature.

You are not a good, responsible kid. You are not a kid at all. You are an adult. Grow up and start acting like one!

Yes, you sound like a good responsible kid.

yes, keep up the good work.

very. better than a lot of people i know