low oil pressure causing knocking HELP?

I was 3/4 the way home and my low oil pressure light comes on and my car starts knocking and my rpms would skyrocket as I accelerate, after looking at it I realized my oil drain plug had been put on too loose by the last person who changed the oil. So after filling it with oil and getting a new drain plug the low oil pressure light is off but a knock persists. Did I do real serious damage to my engine? Or will it fade now that oil is in the car and I have a new plug? ( the at is a 2004 Chrysler Sebring

Favorite Answer

Knocking sound will be failed bearings from running without oil. Not a good thing.

It's not going to go away by itself, and the engine probably needs to come out and be inspected and repaired. Or just replace it....

It may just be a big end Rod bearing, but it depends what has happended to the various other bearings.

BTW, when the oil pressure light comes you need to stop immediately. A few miles without oil WILL kill an engine.

From your description a rod bearing has been damaged by oil starvation. This is a good time to get it to a mechanic. If he diagnoses a knocking rod bearing (always the first to suffer from oil starvation) the repair of replacing the rod bearings can be done with the engine still in the car... I have done it once. If the bearing is allowed to go too long - say a hundred miles - it will damage the crankshaft and the cost of repair will skyrocket.

Source(s): 40 years maintaining my own cars

The oil pump may have failed also You very likely blew the engine. Take it to a Chrysler dealership. Or a good mechanic