What do you think of the role of Churches/Church people in Social Justice movements..............?

It seems like in many social justice movements, Churches and Church people have been influential. This is just to name a few

(I)Civil Rights Movement(1960s)

-Prominent Clergy activists such as Martin Luther King Jr and Southern Christian Leadership Conference

(II)Anti Apartheid Movement

-Role of the Anglican Church in the Black Conciousness Movement leading to Soweto Uprising

-Role of people like Archbishop Desmond Tutu in the sanctions/boycott movement

(III)Anti Communist Movement in Eastern Europe

-Solidarity Movement in Poland arising in large part because of the organization of the Catholic Church/Pope John Paul II

(IV)Indonesian Occupation of East Timor

-Because of the Organization of the Catholic Church and people like Cardinal Ximenes Belo, Indonesia's 20 yr genocidal occupation came to an end in 1996, with the Cardinal winning a Nobel Peace Prize.

(V)Liberation Theology

-Arising in Latin America against right wing dictatorships; legacy includes things like the Landless workers Movement in Brazil and famous activists such as Oscar Romero

This of course just scratches the surface, and many others could be mentioned(Abolitionists, Catholic Trade Union workers, etc).

And it should be added as well that the term Social Justice was founded by a Jesuit Priest named Father Luigi Taperalli in the 19th century during the Industrial Revolution, Applying St Thomas Aquinas's philosophy.

It seems when people think of Christian history, they just think Crusades, Inquisitions, Witch burnings, Heresy Trials, etc. From my perspective this seems to be another side that not a lot of people are aware of

Best Answer

I find it ironic to see so many people on Internet Forums complaining about the Christian Right when there's so much political involvement by Christians pushing left wing politics. Some Social Justice movements I agree with, but I was against the government taking over medicine because it lowered the quality of medical care we got and raised the expense. Nancy Pelosi thanked the United Methodist Church and the Catholic Church for helping them pass the health care bill.

to take a stand against oppression and tyranny is something that both thomas jefferson and Ben Franklin could agree upon. to quote someone, if anyone is a slave then we are all slaves. amendment 13 banned involuntary slavery. bible believing christians should always be on the side against tyranny for the rights of free will and free agency. slavery denies mankind such, and it is said that the devil will always employ philosophies of facism and tyranny rather than give men their freedom and liberty

In nearly all those cases you mention, there were just as many churches and religious leaders who were calling for the status quo ---- they wanted to DENY civil rights, KEEP apartheid, UPHOLD slavery and the slave trade, etc.

Lets not forget the catholic priests accused of aiding and abetting the genocide in Rwanda

lets not forget the Mormon church's role in raising money and support for denying rights to gay couples in California (Prop 8), the current catholic church's stance on gay rights, the catholic church's role in covering up child abuse, etc,etc, ad nauseum

• ZILLA

That's all fine and dandy, but I'd like to point out that MLK Jr. wasn't a True Christian™ because he cheated on his wife.

• ZILLA
      5 years agoReport

Thank you! And allow me to say that I love the answer you gave =)

Social justice......I really hate that word

I believe in a even playing field for everyone...no special treatment....and no oppression

If gays want to be gays let them

But that doesn't change the sin of it

• ZILLA
      5 years agoReport

The question had absolutely *nothing* to do with gays. Methinks thou dost protest too much.