S. asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 6 years ago

Are adopted children obligated to know the core clinical issues from their biological parents?

I ve been doing my research on this to find a more in depth information for this question, but it seems like I couldn t find any evidence. I know for a fact that an adopted child should know the clinical issues from their blood-related parents for medical purposes but I could not find any evidence or information that would help me with my essay to prove this! I was wondering if anyone could give me links or suggestions of where I can find better information/evidence/proof for this question?

It would mean alot! Thank you!

It's a difficult issue from both an emotional and legal point of view.

Adopted children should have the right to know, and yet the parents are entitled to their medical privacy. It seems unjust for the state to tell a biological parent: "You have no legal right to know the name or whereabouts of the child you gave birth to, but you must reveal your own private medical history to be logged in a state database, so that it can be passed on to that child and his adoptive parents." I don't know what the best solution is, but I suspect that ending the traditional secrecy around adoption (sealed records, and so forth) would be a good start.

The real question might be, would you do things differently if you knew you had a family history or a disease?

Here are some studies on how genetics affect people:

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articl...

http://ncadd.org/index.php/for-parents-overview/fa...

You can Google "% genetics versus environment" to see more studies.

I think adopted children would like to know if there's something in their genetics that might hurt them later. However, there are so many health conditions that aren't linked to genetics, or that have some link to both genetics and environment, that most people have something that's going to show up. I imagine it's hard to just wonder what might be there.

Programs like www.23andme.com are trying to give people more information, but they had to shut down the health information they provided. And since many medical conditions have a genetic component that may or may not affect people, sometimes people freak out knowing there "might" be a chance of something.

Four years ago I became very sick. I was weak so weak I could not get myself up off the floor if I sat down on it, anxiety was through the roof, my hair was falling out, and I was sick to my stomach.

It took four months for two different doctors to find out that I had extreme hyperthyroidism.

If I had known my medical history, that might have been one of the first things they checked for, since it tends to run in families.

I can't think of a single reason I should have had to spend my life guessing about my medical history - can you?

Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.

I am asked my medical history every time I see a new doctor. I have to say, every time, "I don't know."

If it's not an important thing, why do they ask?

Not only do we need to know, we need updated information. Closed adoptions should not be permitted. My mothers health history was way different at age 20, when I was born than it was at age 40.

Source(s): Adoptee

Some states have registries where parents can list medical information. The push for many states to allow original birth certificates to be available also supports the need to know, In my opinion.

• Sara

Those of us adopted are not obligated to know. Some of us do not even have access to that info usually because it is sealed through the courts in our state (have to go to court to unseal records) or the bio parents didnt know or provide info, or both.

Some adopted kids are lucky to have the info available, many of us are not that lucky. For some of us we find the info later, and others never find out and just find out through testing and such with our doctor.

used to be a big umbrella adoption advocacy group--NACAC--North American Council on Adoptable Children.

For data, adoption history, check with the big national groups.

I think that perhaps you meant to ask if they are entitled to know, rather than are they obligated to know?

Yes, I think that they are entitled/have a right to know when possible. I do not think they are obligated to know though.