Debbie
Debbie asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 6 years ago

Would YA be better off if Yahoo closed down categories that have been proven to mostly consist of (sometimes serious) violations?

So guys, I have my own thoughts on this, but I need some input from those who know YA better than I do. What would happen if Yahoo actually closed them down? Would they even do this?

Thanks.

I'm also guessing that this would affect their income, (i.e. less clicks mean less revenue)?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

No Yahoo closing down categories that have been proven to mostly consist of the most serious violations wouldn't necessarily help

It is not something they will do as that will interfere with the bottom line and that matters most to those in control.

What needs to happen is more people need to start reporting in those categories on a regular basis and not just stay in one little corner of the site. The site will never be violation free.

Having a group of selected users more clout already exists and that isn't helping except for spam.

True if they took those categories away other sites would see an increase in trash but again it all needs to be reported not ignored. This category is not the shining example of a place to get help it once was and violations here get ignored. There are those who answer here all righteous and then run off to the categories they complain about here and troll there posting and answering violations.

People will be people good or bad and as long as this place exists there is nothing to stop it being what it is and removing categories will not change it. The people who use the site need to step up and start caring about it as a whole and not just for how it relates to them..

• ?

I regretfully take the view that these garbage bin categories are basically 'flypaper' to keep the stupid largely away from the rest of the site.

I agree with Yahzmin that much wider delegation of serious admin power (the abillity to remove all posts by an account, and to suspend accounts) to users of known reliability and responsibility would be the way for Y!A to go.

It's not impossible to implement, given suitable oversight against misuse of that power. Nor would it be difficult to find volunteers to do it free. Other sites such as Wikipedia have exactly this arrangement, with volunteer admins - appointed through a vetting process - who have the power to block disruptive users indefinitely. They've presumably been through any legal issues with that, so again this isn't insurmountable.

Here, out of interest, is how Wikipedia handles it: Wikipedia: Administrators http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrat...

No. It would be better if they banned their IP address so they couldn't make new account. There are trolls who are on the edge of being sexual preditors in certain sections. These are trolls who write detailed sexual type "stories" about minors. I tracked one troll to YouTube (he give the link to video he posted giving his user name & Youtube account) & this troll commented on many videos about kids as young as 5 looking "horny" & writing other sexual things about their bodies. This trolls had trolled this way for at least 8yrs. I've sent all this info to Yahoo. They delete his accounts yet he keeps making more. It's like they don't care.

Active trolls are not here to click anything for income. Most users have ad blockers so they never see anything to click. I have yet to see any ads on here when I use Firefox. I wouldn't click an ad anyway & I doubt any active users do.

Under Men's Health---to many questions are posed regarding the length and width of a part of the male anatomy. I think YA should monitor these questions and design a system whereby anyone under the age of 18 cannot visit certain sites.

No the Bigots and Racists Just Move and troll other categories

when i had an open ID i had one fool with 28 ID;s follow me and No matter what i said got 28 thumbs down and sometimes several abusive Emails

• ?

No. It would cripple the ad revenue. Those are also the most popular sections. It will be big user loss. Ads/revenue is a higher priority than CG violations

Actually, staff DID that - once. They closed down P&S completely. The ensuing chaos was unbelievable. People say staff doesn't listen, but they did THEN! P&S was back online within a day, if I remember correctly. Possibly even within hours.

What staff needs to do - and apparently CAN'T do - is give more power into the hands of selected users whom they REALLY trust. Not just those that have worked up to a high TR by reporting spam, but those who have worked hand-in-glove with staff for years and who they know report accurately. With that type of help, such violations could be trimmed down. But since, as mentioned, Yahoo basically refuses to IP ban, it would only help if staff also allowed such truly trusted users to find - and terminate - any and all accounts made by repeat offenders. But staff will not allow that (I assume for legal reasons), so the responsibility for policing those types of things remains with us, the users - and the simple tool of reporting, which is all we have available.

Those people will just go else where and we don't want all of the juveniles that play in P&S to descend on us here

Chetak

• ?

No,the only result would be that all those people would flood decent categories with their rants and fanaticism.