Question about Catholic Church and Social Justice.............?

Why do people repeat the lie that the Catholic Church usually doesn't promote social justice..............?

People act as if the Church just started caring about social justice when Francis(who I think is awesome) became Pope....which is so counter factual.

(I)1/4 of all of the Health Care facilities across the planet were started and operate by the Catholic Church

(II)Many Catholic Organizations across the world promote social justice

-Catholic Relief Services operates in 90 different countries and promotes things such as sustainable development and disaster relief

-Caritas International operates in 200 across the planet and promotes humanitarian relief and Third World Debt relief, which manifested in the Jubilee Debt Campaign(2000)

-Jesuit Refugee Services operates in 51 countries and focus on Asylum Seekers, Undocumented Migrant rights, and rights of refugees with a focus on education, food security and safety

(III)Social Justice has many of its roots in Catholicism

-The person who developed the term "social justice" was a Jesuit Priest named Luigi Taperalli in the 19th century during the Industrial Revolution

-Many social justice movements were influenced by the Church such as Liberation theology in Latin America, the Solidary Campaign in Poland to bring down Communism(Pope John Paul II) and the resistance movements against Indonesian occupation in East Timor

-The Vatican has a whole Pontifical Council on Justice and Peace

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Best Answer

Jesus is social justice: for dignity of men: The Catholics are the no. 1 providers of social justice for the sake of Christ.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

There have also been times like 500 years ago the Pope ordered money to be sent to him to get a medical project started. Money flew in; yet Not a dollar went to Medical! It all went to Lots of new expensive Pope robes! The rest to start the church in Rome! He also had at least 5 children!

400 years ago a Pope was murdered by the Cardinals, all records of HER removed from theirs., But countries refused to changed their records, so SHE is even on this Internet now!

• 5 years ago

I am Jewish but I have great respect for the Catholic Church - and I agree that the Church has always promoted social justice and helping others less fortunate.

• You do realize that the Catholic church moved its priest around to keep them from being prosecuted for molesting children. Certainly you can not call that social justice.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

The enemies of the Church use any weapon to attack her, no matter how unjust.

With love in Christ.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.