Two hard drives, an ssd and an hdd. Can I use raid to have the os on the ssd and files on the hdd?

Is there any raid option that allows for me to have windows on ssd and files on the hdd? Ive already installed windows on the ssd, so if i do a raid option where the two drives act as one, will windows always install its updates on the ssd, or will it be all over the place? What raid option will does this? What can I do to grt what I need?!?

Favorite Answer

Hi there,

Unfortunately there is no such RAID option. With current RAID levels if you create a RAID from an HDD and a SSD you will loose in terms of speed as the array will be working at the speed of the slowest drive and the capacities of the smaller drive.

You can still use both your drives, just the way they are. Your OS and all updates will be installed on your SSD. The same goes with your programs. You can manually store all your files and media on your HDD and it will appear just like any other HDD in computer.

Good luck.

Hi there,

There is no need for RAID in this situation.

If u install windows on the SSD, then updates will be installed there as well.

The second hard drive will be detected and can be used for anything else you want. It will be detected and displayed the same way an external drive is displayed.

Ofcourse, it has to be initialized first, and a partition created, for windows to recognize it.

Then, you can use it for all your files and such.

Hope i helped.

There's no RAID setup that would do that. You would just be setting the drives up as two separate drives without RAID to achieve this.

RAID 0 doesn't mirror the drives but basically acts as one, meaning data is written to BOTH drives as one big volume. If one drive fails, you lose the whole RAID and all the data because it's split across both drives.