Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 6 years ago

What do you think of the name Ceallach (pronounced KELL-ach) for a boy?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Snid
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If a person lived in Ireland it would be a cool name. Not for mainstream society to me.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Make absolutely sure that you are pronouncing it properly to a native speaker. There are a lot of "how do you pronounce?" websites available. People from different regions will offer up their pronunciation.

There is nothing worse than someone having a Welsh/Irish (the biggest offenders for sounding nothing phonetically like their spelling) given name only to realize you've been pronouncing it wrong your entire life.

If it is not an ancestral name, and you're looking at it thinking it SHOULD be pronounced the way you like it, think of how every Siobhan, Saoirse and Ysold/Ysolt/Isolde must either correct or ignore every person that is fluent in Irish or Welsh. We tend to pronounce things phonetically, because for English it works a lot of the time.

• 6 years ago

If you live in the United States, I don't think it is a good choice because your child's name with be both misspelled and mispronounced his whole life. Gaelic/Celtic names are lovely, particularly if that is your family heritage, but I always caution against a name that you have to explain. When you say it, may people will hear Kellogg and when you write it people will probably say "Seal hawk". If you love the name, consider using it as a middle name.

• 6 years ago

The modern version is Kelly, a name I've never cared for. I'm sorry. Like Kelly, it's a genderless name. I think it would work okay as a middle but not for a first.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

It sounds like a type of fish the pray on the flesh of other marine life. Please don't stick your son with this horrible name

• 6 years ago

I don't like it. It will be mispronounced all the time and misspelled. The poor kid would have to constantly correct people.

• Wombat
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

I don't like it

• 6 years ago

I don't like it. I like Kellan, though.

• 6 years ago

it sounds cool but, I dont like it

• 6 years ago

No

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.