Should Israel recognized civil marriage?

Israel currently does not recognize civil marriage. This makes a bit more difficult for Jewish and Arab Israelis to marry each other.

I suggest that Israel recognize civil marriage so that intermarriage between these two groups will increase.

If this happens then Israel will become more multicultural and thus more powerful.

what do you guys think?

• TNO
    Favorite Answer

Well, Israel does actually....the problem is that they can't be conducted in Israel. I think Israel should totally allow civil marriages to be done in Israel and legally recognized.

I know, confusing right? Well, basically, while you can't get married to someone in a secular fashion or have a civil marriage in Israel, you can do so in any other nation in the world and Israel will recognize that. Even gay marriages, which is rather ironic. It's because Israel gives only certain religious courts this ability, and the ultra-Orthodox Jews hold a monopoly on Jewish weddings (Christian priests and Muslim imams control their own religions) which is a hold-over from the British rule.

At the very least, I think more sects of Judaism should be recognized as having the ability to marry off individuals. Like I said, only the Ultra-Orthodox have the ability to do so now, which screws over sooo much of the Conservative (known as Masorti) and Reform Jews that live there. They have to have an very traditional Orthodox wedding and, if one converted, that could cause the Rabbi to refuse since his branch might not recognize the conversion (on the grounds that they didn't do enough studying, like you would as an Orthodox convert).

Needless to say, many Israelis do NOT like this and gladly make the trip to Cyprus, which will issue them marriage licenses. Or other places, but that nation is close enough for a quick trip. Civil marriage is very much wanted but is kept out to maintain a status quo. Religious ultra-Orthodox Jews and a very religious majority of the Arab Israelis see to that. At the very least, if more Rabbis are given the ability to marry, that would work for a greater amount of people, though with other religious sensibilities (which I haven't even covered yet) the Israeli nation should just issue secular licenses.

Here is how it works in Israel because you over simplified way to much. I'll go slow so you can keep up.

Only a PRACTICING JEW is forbidden to marry a MUSLIM (not arab, this is not a racial thing) or CHRISTIAN. Because it is against Judaism for a PRACTICING JEW to marry a non JEW just like how in ISLAM a MUSLIM can't marry a NON MUSLIM. They can marry if one is willing to convert to the others religion. This is rare though really not a issue because MUSLIMS typically DON'T want to marry NON MUSLIMS and PRACTICING JEWS typically don't want to marry NON JEWS.

HOWEVER

If neither want to convert but still wish to marry the PRACTICING JEW may still marry the MUSLIM outside of Israel AND RETURN where the marriage WILL BE RECOGNIZED to the fullest extent.

Israel derives its power from being unequivocally Jewish. Equivocation has weakened every powerful nation in history

As Shakespeare said in Hamlet,

"To thine own self be true,

And it shall follow, as night the day,

That thou cannot be false to any man."

Submission to liberal concepts has yielded nothing but general deceit.

I think Israel, being a sovereign nation, should enact or prohibit what it see's fit. I also think it's none of your business, nor is it a priority considering terrorists have upped their rampage.

Israel has more important issues to iron out first.

What about Arabs who live in Israel proper?

I agree. Israel should let go of their grasp on US and focus on their own country.

No killing terrorists takes priority.