Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 6 years ago

am I too fat to start dancing?

Since I was 3 I loved dance my parents registered my in community centre tap ballet jazz and hip hop all the time. When I was about 8 my mom began working and It was a hard time for me. My dad would always take me to mcdonalds and I began to gain weight. By this point I dropped all my dance classes. I tried gymnastics, soccer, trampoline and my parents forced me to play travel baseball for three years I hated it. When I was 11 I tried to go to a professional dance company I dropped out I hated the way I looked since I was 8 years old. At eleven I was 5'2 180 lbs at 12 I began working out and lost 20 lbs I'm currently 13 5'4 and 163lbs. My measurements are 36B-29-38

I'm a size 11. Am I too fat too take classes professional classes id like to take jazz and or contemporary?? My hearts just wants too dance it hurts so bad to know I've dropped so many things maybe my parents won't let me sign up for something now... Do you think I'm too fat too dance. I know my bmi is 28 but I don't look big, I am naturally muscular especially my legs.

Favorite Answer

Good for you loosing the weight that you have. I'm 37, 5'3" and weigh around 150, I was 180 at my heaviest too and that was 8 years ago. For contemporary you will need to do ballet. I have been doing jazz for 7 years and ballet for 5. You aren't too fat to learn to dance but I don't know if a pre-professional program will take you as I have no experience with it. Continue working on the weight issue by eating healthy, no junk food or sodas and get in your exercise and you will see a change pretty quickly. Good luck.

• kenny

Nobody is too fat to dance unless they literally can't get up and move without assistance. The only type of dance that requires you to be very skinny (underweight) is ballet.

Source(s): Go for it
  • Toast

No way, hun. Dance is for everyone. It's not exclusive to slim, fit girls, and it never will be. It's open to unweight, overweight, tall, short, male, female. "Be who you are and say what you feel, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" And being overweight for a physical side of dancing is okay too. It will hardly affect your performance in any way.

• Sum

Oh - dance is always the best thing no matter what.