Is this the future of inequality, TARGET closes 113 stores in Canada and the CEO is to get as much in severance as ALL 17,500 employees?

COMBINED?

Reward for $5B failure - cash for life! and enough that his kids and grandkids will never have to work either.

SOMETHING is SO wrong with this.

1) liberals - DAMN RIGHT THERE IS!

2) Conservatives - Nope, I just don't see it.

Favorite Answer

The Target CEO makes that much only helps to bump up that CEO to employee pay ratio, which was maybe 50 to 1 in the 1970's, now is about 500 to 1 overall, except at Target it is 17,500 to 1. Seems the trend is the little guy becomes littler and the big cheese stinks up the place.

Is there something wrong with that? Absolutely! If I were a shareholder I would be very upset. The Board of Directors did a poor job in their role as fiduciaries. I could see a civil shareholder lawsuit being appropriate.

However, from a public policy standpoint, I'm not sure it should be the role of government to establish things like "maximum amounts of compensation". It's a private firm, and if they want to give exhorbitant sums of money to incompetent leaders, that's their call.

My thoughts really are, how can I get a gig like that? I could be CEO of a company, lose millions of dollars, and end up getting fired, only to cash in at the end! I'm sure I have the skills necessary to do that.

A CEO decision can make or cost a company billions larger the company the more money that is at stake, hence why the big ones make so much. And why a company will pay has much money has it takes to sever a bad one before they drive them into the ground any more. Is it unfair, yeah but then where is it written life is fair. We are all born with different abilities some rarer and more valuable then others, hence that ability will let one earn more then someone without it. What progressives often times say is fair is saying it benefits society to rip out the eyes of people with 20/20 vision just because someone was born blind.

The culture of Corporatism and its every-ready "Golden parachute" severance packages have been a staple of the "Old Boy Network!"

Sad to say, back in the 'good ole days' where racism ruled the day, no one cared to utter much word about such inequities, because it was perceived that "as long as a person was White, they had hope!" However, since the beast of Capitalism has bared its true fangs, it has birthed the "Occupy Movement" and other movements protesting the inimical dangers of "unbridled Capitalism!"

Try not misconstrue the inciteful nature of this post as race-baiting, or anti-Capitalism. You are only being introduced to the silenced perspectives of the historically marginalized - thought they fought bravely in every single U.S. War, beginning with the First American Revolution!

Source(s): "In God We Trust" JIC (unpublished)

I'll bet you dollars to donuts the severence package the CEO received was based on the contract he negotiated when hired. The company was legally obligated to pay that, regardless of the performance of the company.

Are you saying that the workers did not get what they were legally owed?

Or are you just upset that someone got more, regardless of the facts?

You guys should have bought more there, same with Eaton's and Simpson's. Instead of crossing the border and shopping in the US.

And can you ask those people to at least donate all the clothes they leave in the parking lots and restrooms of the US malls and throw the receipts tags in the trash instead of littering the parking lots with them?

• REJJI

Yes it is. A company that rewards it's executives for losing money, has a problem, and it's not just about losing money.

I hope that is the future of inequality.

The USA is not supposed to be equal pay for all workers.

When you can do something that only a few people can do you deserve to get royally paid for it.

Hey Beaver, why does it matter to you what someone else earns?

How is taking the CEO pay going to help you or anyone else?

• Curtis 1911
      5 years agoReport

I do not believe it does effect the consumer. If a company raises their prices to accommodate CEO pay than the competition will get their business.

HEY!!!!!!! You ever try writing out 17,500 pink slips!?!? I earned that money! I got Writers cramp!

I had to refill the cartridge in my pen THREE times!!!!

I'm very sorry to hear about your job loss. I think Walmart might be hiring greeters.