Check engine light and gas pedal doesn't work?

I started my car this morning but a check engine popped up and i found out that the gas pedal doesn't work at all. When I put the car on Drive it moves no problem but on idle, even when i press on the pedal all the way in, it doesn't do anything. However, after the car warms up maybe 20 to 30 minutes it works with no problem. Can someone help me here please. It's 2005 Camry

Favorite Answer

The first step is to read the codes that are causing the check engine light. Auto Zone has a "lending" program for tools, including OBDII scanners - you pay for the tool with a credit card and can return the tool within 3 days to cancel the charge. I expect you will see a throttle position sensor code like P0120-P0124 or P0220-P0229. Since the TPS is under the hood it makes sense it would care about warming up. In any case I would be surprised if the TPS itself is not at fault. I would expect repair to be in the $300 range, parts and labor.

Clearly another defective gas pedal assembly from the assholes at Toyota. The CEL is probably coming on because it cannot see the defective gas pedal which has some kind of bad electrical connection.

Your transmission is broken. Hopefully you have a warranty that can cover the costs.