question about taxes?

Ok so I just got my taxes and im 21 I got about 5000.which?e same as last year. Last year I claimed my sister this year I did it again. Only difference is that this year she only lived with me and my mom just about 6 and a half months. The rest she lived outside the U.S.A. Anyways I got a letter from the Kansas state of revenue which is the Irs im guessing and they are asking for a copy of my w-2 form and my sisters social security card. Am I in trouble for something? Idk if it was ok to claim her because she was only with us for 6 and a half months. But at the place where I did my taxes I was told it was ok to claim her as long as no one else was. So what could possibly be wrong? And why do they need the copies of these things? (Social security and w-2 form)

Favorite Answer

Kansas is requesting additional proof for their state taxes. They are not the IRS. This is for state filing for Kansas. Someone maybe trying to claim your sister. The W-2 should have state information printed on it for what you claimed as dependents. The social security card is to help them research this. I would recommend you comply. State taxes can be just as bad on your taxes. Especially later if you want to buy a house.

" But at the place where I did my taxes I was told it was ok to claim her as long as no one else was." - Not how it works.

Did your mom have income? How old is your sister?

Basically, they don't believe you and you are going to have to prove you paid over half her support, etc.

you need to check the irs laws re: claiming your sister.............link is below