Cloud storage or external hard drive?

A few friends and I are moving into a new house and don't know which route to go. We all love movies and TV shows and between all of us, we have about 3TB of downloaded TV shows and movies, but I'm sure our collections will grow.

The internet plan we're looking at is 140GB/month and I was thinking about the possibility of sharing a Google or Dropbox cloud so we all could access each others movies and TV shows with ease from any device in the house. However, I have a 2TB external hard drive already, which I can attach to my PS3, which we'll be using as our main entertainment hub anyways, and I can buy another one for around $120 for the rest of the movies and TV shows.

The main appeal of a cloud for me is security, as I've had an external hard drive crash before and it's not a fun experience.

My question is this: would it be worth our while to pay $40 for cloud storage or should we just invest in another hard drive? We will also have a Netflix account and I'm worried about going over on our internet bill, how much internet does streaming from a cloud use? Also, is anyone aware of any cheap and reliable cloud storage services (under $10/TB/month) that I could look into?

Thanks in advance for your help with this! I'm not clueless when it comes to computers but I'm still a novice and couldn't find the answers for these specific questions anywhere I looked online.

Thank you all! I think I will be sticking with getting another external HD as its by far the cheapest and smartest option for us. I will, however be looking into a NAS, as user desertcities suggested.

Best Answer

Doing the math on your numbers, it looks like it would take about 2 years to upload all your movies to the cloud with that data plan. and probably something like 17 days flat-out just uploading at 2Mbps (seeing as most residential connections are severely asymmetric).

Use the cloud for stuff you can't replace, like your personal photos and notes and wedding videos.

Otherwise, get more than one external drive and keep copies (somewhere else, too, like a safety deposit box just in case of burglary/fire/giant meteorite)

I would recommend that you include the idea of getting a network attached storage device, or NAS, that plugs directly into your router so that everyone on your network can use it. You can store everything, backup everything, and it runs all by itself using very little power consumption. It's very easy to use, menu intuitive, automatic, comes with apps, and makes storing and backing up almost fun.

I use the Synology station and I have 2/2 Terabyte drives that runs on my home network with another Synology station that runs on my home office. I've been using Synology for years now and hands down it has performed without a flaw. The cost is about $200 along with the cost of your hard drives.

To learn more about it, visit the link below.

Good Luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskles...

if I were u, I would go for external hard drive ...coz... whenever I need I can watch any movie...but,,in cloud.... go to ur account...download....!! very pain...now choice is urs !