-__- asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 years ago

In a professional kitchen, what do you do with your hands when you have nothing to do?

I can understand that no one likes seeing someone with their hands in their pockets. Thats what I learnt at my first job, at my 2nd, they said dont hold your hands behing your back, dont hold your hands in front of you. I mean if I have nothing to do, what the h should I be doing with my hands!! Today at my 3rd job my chef said dont hold your hands behind your back or else your future chefs will hate you. WHYYYYY. If I have nothing to do, I have nothing to do. Should I be giving him a hand job?

Wash dishes. No, seriously - a professional kitchen is always very busy, and dirty dishes and cookware pile up fast. Or you can sweep and mop the floor - cleanliness ALWAYS is VERY important in any kitchen, not just a professional's one.

If you have time to lean, you have time to clean.

Srsly. I never just stood there when I was in a kitchen (or dining room for that matter). Whether it was managing a restaurant, or cooking, or serving or bartending, I kept busy.

In any restaurant there is ALWAYS something to clean.

You can see if there is any dishes that need to be washed and put away. Once that is done you can sweep and mop the floor. Plus you can ask anyone if they need any help. You should always keep yourself busy. That is what I was told from my boss.

There's never any free time, so don't worry about it.