Why are some bosses so mean?

When I was hired to be a data entry clerk, things were going relatively well. When I asked if I should return the following year (study/work program on campus), he reluctantly replied: "well, I'll try to find something for you to do" (I wish I had taken this as a sign for something negative). In any case, once I return the following year, all hell breaks lose. The entire staff (and it's a lot of people) begin gossiping about me, the boss takes everyone else's side; won't hear my side of things. Ultimately, it boiled down to everyone having privileges including using the internet, bathroom, reading and grabbing a coffee while on the job. However, when I did these things - it was a big no-no. I had no idea I was being held to a higher standard. After working for one year and passing the "probation" period, all he could say was: "I know I can trust others but you?!" Well a) if that's true, then why did you re-hire me in the first place (knowing you don't trust me) and b) why threaten to make me lose my job and say "it's no biggie!" and say "you can stay on but we are going to install cameras and have a massive meeting with the dean to watch over you". This is not only costly but counter productive.

If you truly hate someone, then why ALLOW them to stay at your company? Why not fire the person?

Favorite Answer

Maybe it has something to do with your political views. Or, it could be some other employee starting trouble for you because they are jealous. And by the way, "Wendy" there are lots of bosses of color and every other race out there who can be oppressive too. Quit being a race-baiting white man hating hypocrite.

A few thoughts on your situation:

When you're new in a job, on probation, yes the "rules" are a bit different for you. It's not totally "when in Rome" (do as the Roman's do). You're being observed for your work ethic, value to the company, and so forth. Most places frown on internet usage, reading,goofing off. Just avoid that period. As for bathroom breaks and coffee at your desk, that seems reasonable to me unless it's totally excessive.

As for your boss, I think he's a bit of a jerk. He certainly can't seem to express himself very well. He also didn't have the gumption or awareness to give you feedback or coaching early on as to do's and don'ts. And most won't. I was a nurturer, men are more sink or swim.

As to why that company had a work/study program with not enough for you and/or the regular employees to do, I can't say. Maybe the work comes in batches with down time. In that case you either ask for more work, or you look busy.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): retired engineering manager.

Some are mean because they need you to do the work so that is why. But some are mean because some might hate you. Not all bosses are mean, If they are report this and they will shut them down.

Most bosses are white cis males, that's why they are so oppressive. They hate us women, trans, people of color, etc... but they can't fire us!

Power trippin'

Source(s): me
  • sophia

your boss is an a hole. stay there and just make him suffer. let him install cameras so that you are seen for what you really do.

Find a good attorney, tell him the whole story and ask his advice on what you can sue for, whom can you sue, and for how much? This will scare the whole bunch into zombies, I can assure you. Then, find work elsewhere, hope your attorney can win you a few million dollars, and go on with your life!

Because he fear that you maybe his new replacement. So, make your life a living hell. Then you'll eventually quit.