Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 5 years ago

I was caught shoplifting at Walmart Canada and need to know the process?

I was caught stealing at Walmart Canada in Mississauga, ON, a couple of days ago, and I was taken to the back to be questioned by security person. They took my information and had me sign 3 forms, a notice of apprehension, a ban, and a notice of intended legal action. Now I understand I will receive a civil demand which I will pay but my question is, on the form of notice of apprehension, it says that a criminal summon will be obtained by the police on that charge. But during this whole incident, the police was NOT present and were only contacted in order to check my record for past offences. This was my first offence and I was not arrested, finger printed, or had my picture taken. My questions are

1. Will I need to go to court if it says a criminal summons will be obtained by the police?

2. Will I have to go to a police station and get finger printed and ID

3. Is the notice of apprehension from walmart just given to the police to show that I had an incident dealing with shoplifting?

4. Will this affect my criminal record if it is my first offence?

5. I am more concerned with background checks from potential employers, will this show up there for employers like Banks or even Crown Corporations?

I am current well employed and I don't want to lose my job either!

Thank you for taking your time to read my situation, I understand that I am wrong, I am just curious as to how the process will go. Btw, I also live in Ontario

I was caught shoplifting at a know Canadian retailer and need to know the process?

I was caught shoplifting at a known canadian retailer and need to know the process?

Favorite Answer

You will likely receive a civil demand from the store for about $500. ( depending what you took). They may or may not report it to the police, but you have, I believe admitted to the theft, so they can report it if they want. If they do, you will be sent a summons to attend court for the theft charge.

If you did not take much you might be lucky to get community service and no record this time, from what I have read, although they are allowed to give you up to 2 years in prison for it.

The values were about $30 bucks for 3 light bulbs (LED) that I put in my pocket. I had in my pocket enough money to pay for these 3 items. It was certainly a stupid thing. I have lived in the same address, which is just 8 blocks away from Walmart for 10 years or more, and never even thought about doing something so dummy. I have no choice other than wait for the letters to arrive and any phone call, but as it has been already a couple of days since the event, and there was NO police involved, other than a quick phone call security called them to check my police recods, should I lose sleep that I would be eventually charged and brought to court? The security person was kind and told me that this was a civil thing and that I would be contacted to book a training or session to educate me on things related to shoplifting and all, and she said I would be contacted to pay for the expenses in dealing with my case, but never mentioned police or court, but if I show up at the Walmart store (anyone) again, I will be trespassing and I will be charged. So the main questions I still have are: should I lose my sleep and find a lawyer, or just wait for the letter and pay for the fines or expenses, and obviously attend the training mentioned by the security person" (2) Also, is this going to affect my job or future jobs, because I work in IT (computers) and if I work for a large Bank or even a Crown corporation in Canada, will they see this in a typical background check such as criminal records or such? Please, advise as I am losing my sleep and biting my fingers at this point. Again, I never done before and I will not try this mistake again, I think that I learned my lesson well. Btw, I have 3 kids and wife and I don't want them to know and I will be extra vigilant for this NOT to repeat in the family NEVER. Please, advise. Thank you in advance!

• Sarah

I have a friend who is a retail theft consultant and answers such questions privately for no fee. He says here are your answers.

Yes a summons is a demand to appear in court

Possibly yes

Yes

Possibly discuss plea options with your Attorney that can protect your record

The talk top your Attorney about plea options like ACD or Diversion. You need to also concern your self if the store you stole from subscribes to a Retail theft Database

If your job finds out yes they can fire you.

He adds it was unwise to name store on public forum

You might not have tried to commit theft, but you might have forgotten to pay instead! I am inspired by your bravery in doing such an act which I am scared of doing. I think it was right to do what you did, because it is not right for people to struggle to survive on a very low or zero income. The problem with running away is that these LP agents relay info to police dispatch, so it might turn into a police chase really. The trick is, when you steal, have the necessary money with you, then you can just pay and let the rough minds see you walk out of the store. "Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to pay". It feels so easy to do it when you're in a shop but yet the consequences are daunting.

My 16 year old son was caught shoplifting a $2.00 comb. As the mother of the minor I have received a letter demanding recovery costs of $500.00. WalMart's position is to hold the guardian accountable for the loss and has indicated in their letter that I failed to provide reasonable supervision of this minor. What can I do to challenge this decision?

Follow the 80/20 rule, which means eating clean 80 percent almost daily and indulging a little 20 percent of times.

Take time once a 1 week to plan out and look for meals and snacks so you happen to be prepared whenever hunger strikes.

Take time once a week to plan out and shop for meals and snacks so you will be prepared whenever hunger strikes.

Take time once a few days to plan out and go shopping for meals and snacks so you are prepared whenever hunger strikes.

When nature calls, utilize a bathroom on a different floor to generate you use the stairs.