Should I speak to a psychiatrist?

I was physically abused throughout my childhood. My mom was a drug addict and an alcoholic, she shoplifted, forged checks, prostituted, cheated on my dad, they would fight and be physically violent to one another as well as myself. She died when I was 6. My dad's still alive though I now live with my... show more I was physically abused throughout my childhood.
My mom was a drug addict and an alcoholic, she shoplifted, forged checks, prostituted, cheated on my dad, they would fight and be physically violent to one another as well as myself. She died when I was 6. My dad's still alive though I now live with my uncle.

Throughout this time I never had any friends, I've always been too shy to approach people, and too shy to respond when people approach me.

It was the worst was from age 9-12, I couldn't speak at all. I used a handheld whiteboard that a teacher had given me to communicate.

Whenever anyone asked my dad what was wrong with me, he would say "Oh, she's just shy." and people believed him.
Something was obviously wrong with my life - no child gets like that without a reason, and yet everyone, even teachers, never attempted to help me.

Last year I was suicidal.

I do have a friend. But even with him I can only say a few words at a time. He's usually the only one talking. I would like to be able to speak more but I can't. And I'm worried that I never will.

I read in another question someone else, who talked about being in similar situations, had asked and the answer they got was "You should speak to a psychiatrist."

I'm wondering if that would help me, how would just talking about it help? I'm not sure if I would be willing to take any medications unless they were my only option to heal my heartache. Advice?