Nick asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 5 years ago

Will installing Windows 8 delete my files?

Im trying to install Windows 8 from the CD on my laptop with no OS. Will the process clear the files on my old hardrive?

Favorite Answer

If I understood your question, you said that the hard drive that you are trying to install Win 8 does not currently have an OS on it. That would have to mean that you were using this as a second file and have some data files saved on it.

It is possible to install Windows on a hard drive with data on it. As long as you do not format the drive, the data should still be there.

However it is not recommended that you do that. The Windows boot files need to be the first files located on the hard drive for Windows to run well. If they are not, Windows will run noticeably slower.

You need to copy those files of the hard drive, format the drive, install Windows 8 and then put the files back on to the drive, You should NOT install Windows on to a drive that already has data on it.

• Nick5 years agoReport

Windows 7 was removed while we were fixing an issue and I figured I might as well upgrade. Thanks for the help. I have an adapter that can recover hardrives manually so Ill make sure to do that tomorrow.

• ?

It will make your files unusable in a normal way, but this isn't the same as deleting your files. Computer specialists can recover so called 'deleted' files. The only way to truly delete the files on your hard drive is to smash it into small pieces with a hammer.

There is a relatively easy way to copy files from a hard drive on a computer that doesn't have an operating system. All you need to do is install a Live Linux operating system on a USB, and then start your computer from this USB. Linux operating systems are available for free on the Internet and you can find instructions for doing this. But if you've never done this before, then doing it for the first time can be difficult, just like doing anything for the first time is difficult.

• Rayal

If you format the HD during installation it will.

If there is no OS on the laptop then it most likely reformat before installation.

Because it's Windows.....