Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 years ago

How does mail service in the united states work?

Here in Canada our government postal service known as Canada post has a monopoly on mail delivery and due to it's inefficiency it isn't profitable and has to rely on tax-paying money to stay afloat.

is it the same in the united states with the USPS?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Jeff D
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, it's pretty much the same. The US Postal Service has a monopoly on the delivery of first class mail, which is the only thing that keeps it afloat. Fortunately, there's no monopoly on package delivery so companies like UPS and Fed-Ex can thrive.

• Yeti
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

This is the kind of thing you can look up on Wikipedia.

It's an independent agency, and hasn't worked off taxpayer dollars since the early 1980s, with perhaps a limited handful of exceptions. It's kind of unique. It's had a lot of problems losing money, and has considered changing to no weekend delivery, and other alterations, to save money.

It doesn't have a total monopoly. You can use other services like FedEx and UPS, but those are still going to cost more regardless.

Overall, the USPS is pretty efficient and affordable for what it does. Perhaps because it's independent and supposedly self-funding, it may be more efficient and reliable than most other government agencies. But its ongoing financial losses are likely to be a problem sooner or later. On the one hand it needs to stay affordable so that everyone can access it. But on the other, it really probably should be raising rates, at least for some services, if it's going to stay afloat.

• United States Postal Service - name says it all.

• Dash
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

The USPS is a government run organization, but it is by law supposed to be self sufficient and not funded by tax dollars. I would not call it a monopoly because it competes with private companies like FedEx, UPS, etc. for package delivery.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Pony Express

• 6 years ago

Same here. I don't know about inefficiency, yours might be efficient, it just might not be charging enough, or the pay/compensation packages and pensions for its employees might be untenable compared to the income. So I guess I'm saying "financially inefficient". Ours is pretty much like that.

• 6 years ago

Sadly, for the most part, yes, it is. Only packages can be sent by two different private companies, OR by USPS. They can't carry letters as private deliveries, only packages.

• 6 years ago

Essentially, although our service isn't profitable because it has to fund thirty years worth of pensions in advance.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

You're Canadian as much as I'm a super model.

• 6 years ago

yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.