Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 5 years ago

What are some scriptures on stubbornness?

One I can think of is Jeremiah 16:12:

"And you yourselves have acted worse in your doing than your fathers, and here you are walking each one after the stubbornness of his bad heart in not obeying me."

• banana
    Favorite Answer

The basic meaning of the various original-language words that convey the idea of stubbornness is hardness or strength, especially in a bad sense. Often a deliberate refusal to comply with God’s will or commands is involved. (Ps 78:8; 81:12; Isa 1:23; 65:2; Jer 3:17; 5:23; 7:23-26; 11:8; 18:12; Ho 4:16; Ac 7:51) That disaster comes to those who persist in a stubborn course is repeatedly highlighted in the Scriptures. (De 29:19, 20; Ne 9:29, 30; Pr 28:14; Isa 30:1; Jer 6:28-30; 9:13-16; 13:10; 16:12, 13; Da 5:20; Ho 9:15; Zec 7:12; Ro 2:5) For instance, God’s law to Israel prescribed that a stubborn and rebellious son be stoned to death.—De 21:18, 20.

In his dealings with humankind, Jehovah God has patiently allowed individuals and nations, although deserving of death, to continue in existence. (Ge 15:16; 2Pe 3:9) Whereas some have responded favorably to this by putting themselves in line for receiving mercy (Jos 2:8-14; 6:22, 23; 9:3-15), others have hardened themselves to an even greater degree against Jehovah and against his people. (De 2:30-33; Jos 11:19, 20) Since Jehovah does not prevent persons from becoming stubborn, he is spoken of as ‘letting them become obstinate’ or ‘making their hearts hard.’ When he finally does execute vengeance upon the stubborn ones, this results in a demonstration of his great power and causes his name to be declared.—Compare Ex 4:21; Joh 12:40; Ro 9:14-18.

• ?

Psalm 81:11-12 “But my people did not listen to my voice; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts, to follow their own counsels."

Romans 2:5 "But because of your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when God's righteous judgment will be revealed."

Philippians 2:3 "Do nothing from rivalry or stubbornness, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves."

Source(s): I'm an atheist and have studied the Bible intensively.

Deuteronomy 9:6 Understand therefore, that the Lord thy God giveth thee not this good land to possess it for thy righteousness; for thou art a stiffnecked people.

2 Chronicles 30:8 Now be ye not stiffnecked, as your fathers were, but yield yourselves unto the Lord, and enter into his sanctuary, which he hath sanctified for ever: and serve the Lord your God, that the fierceness of his wrath may turn away from you.

Acts 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

2 Kings 17:14

However, they did not listen, but stiffened their neck like their fathers, who did not believe in the LORD their God.

Jeremiah 7:24

"Yet they did not obey or incline their ear, but walked in their own counsels and in the stubbornness of their evil heart, and went backward and not forward.

Deuteronomy 21:18-20

"If any man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father or his mother, and when they chastise him, he will not even listen to them, then his father and mother shall seize him, and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gateway of his hometown. "They shall say to the elders of his city, 'This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey us, he is a glutton and a drunkard.'

Nehemiah 9:16

"But they, our fathers, acted arrogantly; They became stubborn and would not listen to Your commandments.

Isaiah 48:4-8

"Because I know that you are obstinate, And your neck is an iron sinew And your forehead bronze, Therefore I declared them to you long ago, Before they took place I proclaimed them to you, So that you would not say, 'My idol has done them, And my graven image and my molten image have commanded them.' "You have heard; look at all this. And you, will you not declare it? I proclaim to you new things from this time, Even hidden things which you have not known.

Jeremiah 44:16

"As for the message that you have spoken to us in the name of the LORD, we are not going to listen to you!

- See more at: http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Stubbornness...

Stubbornness in and of itself is not necessarily bad.

Its all in how you apply it. When it is applied correctly the bible identifies it as Steadfastness

1 Corinthians 15:58 [Full Chapter]

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

Source(s): Here are some scriptures on stubborness https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksea...

Will, those things were written for us in the time of the end.

I have been stiffneck at times, turn my shoulder to him, given my back to him.

it does does one good, to read what Jehovah likes or does not like.

Try looking up "stiff-necked"