I put in HVAC filters in my new home, and one vent is now making a banging noises every hour or so. Should I remove the filter?

I just moved to SC a few months ago. I had the HVAC system serviced, and the tech told me to put in filters since my Seller hadn't done that and the unit was dusty. The HVAC tech showed me which vents needed filters. This is different, since my prior home in PA had filters in the furnace, not the vents. The bedroom vent has started making a banging sound every hour or so. The AC is working hard, since it hit 90 yesterday. Any idea what this is? Should I remove the filter?

Favorite Answer

Check to see if the damper on the register is loose. Maybe the noise is the damper opening and closing. If that's not it, remove the filter for now and call your service company.

Remove it, see if the noise leaves, but you will want a filter there to protect your evap coil. Not sure how a filter would cause a bang though.

That's what it was! Thank you.