Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 6 years ago

Is this a 'green vision' or a climate change disaster?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

This is old news. The conversion started around the end of 2012, I believe.

What is new is that someone has now published a report on the consequences.

The thinking that burning wood instead of coal is somehow more sustainable is flawed in my view. It might work if you could burn the wood as slowly as it grows - one tree every 40 years. A question for those who claim it is "sustainable", are you saying that it does not matter how fast trees grow or how fast you burn it?

All that happens is that we lose the forests that sequester CO2. We already have a supply of pre-processed wood that has been stored for some considerable time that we could use instead. It goes by the name of coal. Drax power station was built on a coal field to minimize transport costs. No deliveries from North America required. No major destruction of habitats necessary.

You will create more CO2 per MWhr if you burn wood instead of coal to produce electricity. You will increase transportation CO2 if you use fuel from a few thousand miles away than if you use the fuel underneath the power station.

Drax gets a subsidy of about a third of a billion pounds to burn wood. This makes up 75% of its gross profit. The distorted carbon accounting gets a tick in the box from our EU masters - so that's all right then.

What do the Friends of the Earth say:

"There is a growing wealth of evidence from academia and Governments – including the Department for Energy and Climate Change – that suggests that burning wood in power stations can be worse for the climate than fossil fuel alternatives."

Just one more own goal by the warmies, in my view.

• 6 years ago

Lyn is right for a change. Burning wood is a carbon neutral process. Burning coal adds previously sequestered CO2 to the atmosphere. I switched from fuel oil to wood to heat my home. It's a whole lot cheaper and I'm doing my bit for Mother Earth.

Of course, if you are destroying whole ecosystems to make wood pellets, it is an ecological nightmare. Some greenies will turn a blind eye, just like they do when confronted with data on birds killed by wind farms (What's the big deal? We have plenty of golden eagles).

• 6 years ago

Oh dear Jo Nova again. The go to site for Australian science deniers.

Joanne "Jo" Nova (real name Joanne Codling) is an Australian writer, speaker, former TV host, anti-science presenter and a professional wingnut.[1] She maintains a blog which regularly regurgitates debunked climate denial myths, making her the poor Aussie's Ian Plimer or Andrew Bolt.[2] The site also has on its header the highly ironic phrase "Tackling tribalist groupthink." She has also written a handbook called "The Skeptic's Handbook," a brief pamphlet that reads like it was copy-pasted from another denialist site without the slightest whiff of actual research and peppered with pretty pictures.[3] The handbook concentrates on a few of the greatest hits, including: Satellites and weather balloons showing no warming (they do); the Oregon Petition "debunking" the scientific consensus (it doesn't); carbon dioxide lagging, not leading temperature change (ignoring Milankovitch cycles and feedbacks); the carbon dioxide effect being saturated (it isn't); and bad weather station siting (relying on the self-debunked work of Anthony Watts).[4]

In between regurgitating debunked climate myths, she often posts non-sensical fiscal arguments; then breaks into a general bitching session about anything including the denial crowd pleaser, the Gore bash fest.

She downplays the funding she and other denialists receive from the Heartland Institute and the Science and Public Policy Institute

• Kano
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Hah is that the best you warmers can do, denigrate the source, actually the source is the Mail O'nline, which is here

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:AN... for once some investigative journalism 'that makes a change'

The whole biomass experiment is totally crazy, cutting down US woodlands shipping across the Atlantic (I wonder how much CO2 that produces) to burn in Drax the most sophisticated coal fired power station in the UK, just to calm the greens and show a token effort to show they care about the environment.

You warmers have no integrity you know ethanol and biomass is not a good idea, but will you admit it, hell no.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

Man Made Climate Change only DESTROYS ALL LIFE FOREVER. All non solids like gases, co2, exhaust, smoke, etc. are separated by natures chemicals to keep the suns rays warming earth as it rotates to grow plants for oxygen & food so all species can survive. I burn wood to heat my home & plan to continue. Mike

Source(s): FACTUAL LOGIC
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.