did I screw up my chances for the job I applied for?

Yesterday I had an interview it seemed to go well. During the interview he asked me to go get some informed criminal background check and copies of my licenses and whatever. Then he asked if I would like to come today and observe the operation and go with a crew on an install or two to observe and ask questions. I agreed that seemed like a good idea, to see the company in action.Anyways last night I got a call from my current employer they needed me to come in today to do some service work today on my day off. So I decided to come in cause there still my employer they rely on me for help.

ANYWAYS I called the company that I'm applying for back first thing this Morning and was talking to the hiring manager again. I asked him if he got the information and was that all he needed. He said thats good its exactly what I needed. Then he asked if I'm coming today to observe the operation. I told him I can't cause my current employer called me in to do some work for them. He seemed ok with it, not mad. Chat briefly back and forth. Then I causally mentioned should I give my 2 weeks notice in, (just make sure I know where I stand) He said We're seeing more applicants today and I'll let know. We had a friendly goodbye that was it.

So did I hurt my chances to get the job? And I just found out from my current employer that I have tomorrow off so, should I call him back and ask if I could observe the operation tomorrow? Or will that hurt me even more?

Favorite Answer

No, he's just seeing who else is out there. It's not a bad sign. It actually makes you look quite dependable in regards to your other job -- although to be 100% honest if you'd already made plans with the could-be employer you shouldn't have broken them. If he didn't seem annoyed though it's fine.

Call them and arrange a time for observations.

Kiss this job goodbye. You showed him that you are not a person of your word. In an interview, your primary goal is to get across to the hiring manager why you—above all the other candidates—are the right person for the job. That you have the right set of skills, a great personality, and the drive to really make things happen in your new role.

"I told him I can't cause my current employer called me in to do some work for them"

"We're seeing more applicants today and I'll let know.

Seem like you guys dont need each other. Once an employer state other applicants, your chances are bad.

As for calling, it is the same as with most relationships looking interested is good but looking too interested makes you less desirable. You may think you’re showing your future company that you’re ready to hit the ground running( which you are not cause you told him no) but if you come on too strong post-interview (think “checking in” to restate your interest less than a week after the interview or double communicating—emailing and then emailing again without a response from the other party), you look less like a candidate they’d be lucky to hire and more like someone who’s anxious to leave your current role. When you call or email alot, some employers give you the interview so you could simply go away. Some give interviews so they could say that they gave people a fair chance.

He isnt going to call you and when you call him. He will be busy or say he will call you back. You basically told the man that you do not have time for him or his operation plus will go back on your word. He made plans to have coworkers show you the operation. A time to sell yourself. You should have simply ignored your current employer call. You told the man "no i cant come in" but then asked " do i have the job, should i put my two week in." You are a pain on a job and you think its your way. He was walking you through the company steps to say congratulation you are hired but you screwed that up. You live and learn

Best of luck

Source(s): Director of Engineer

Well, not going in to see the new company today was not a positive in their mind. Especially as you agreed to it already. They may think you lost interest and are using it as an excuse. Then asking if you got the job, without even seeing their operation, I don't know, not a great question.

You may have blown the job, especially if they really do have other good applicants. In any case, as you have two strikes against you now, I would call them today and offer to come in tomorrow. If they liked you a whole lot they may agree. If they say no, then start looking for another job.

i think you should call him although he probably was annoyed because you may of seemed a little cocky that you would get the job when he didn't actually give it to you yet, just try be more nice and that.

• ?

I think the prospective employer would respect your loyalty for your current employer.

• Bob

call back and try.. .it couldn't hurt.