Nick asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 6 years ago

Intel pentium 4 machine not working correctly with Windows 7?

My HP pavilion a1324n is currently running Windows XP- which I would like to upgrade to Windows 7 home premium 32bit. But every time I would use the install disk (both on a clean drive and upgrading it straight in XP) I get a blue screen of death. It just says stop and a whole bunch of characters (which doesn't take up even half the screen) it just has the error code and doesn't say "windows was shut down to protect data" or whatever. How can I fix this? Any ideas or tips?

Favorite Answer

The Windows 7 install disk might not have the drivers on it to support your hardware.

Look up something about slipstreaming rivers into the Windows 7 installation process.

I don't know if you can....upgrade from XP to w7?

The w7 disk you have- is it HP OEM? or a commercial Windows disk? Either should work for install, but not if your disk is an OEM from another computer manufacturer.

Do you "need" windows?......I'll bet that Linux Mint 17 will work fine.