Is it common for guys to listen to female musicians?

I have a preference for music written and composed by women, I don't do this on purpose or anything, but I find that I've ended up listening very heavily to female musicians, for their voices, for their style, and just for what they say in their lyrics too.

It just appeals to me more for some reason, I like to listen to what they have to say, especially about love. I don't commonly enjoy hearing what male musicians have to say about relationships.

My most common choices are Stevie Nicks, Joni Mitchell, Janis Joplin and Sarah Harmer.

Best Answer

It's more common than you think. You're absolutely right in every word you typed. Plus you listed some of the most beautiful and talented ladies in music. Why not try Carole King, Carly Simon, Bonnie Raitt, Kim Richey, Mary Chapin Carpenter to name o few?

• Thank-You, you managed to be really touching in just a few words. I'm going to listen to those women of lovely music you suggested.

Yes, it's common. I actually don't know any guys who strictly listen to only male musicians. I think most people listen to a mix of both. Rock music, in particular, has historically been a male-dominated genre, so I think it's really great and cool that you listen to and appreciate a lot of female musicians and songwriters.

I'm female, but I mostly listen to male musicians and singers and a lot of all-male bands. But I've been trying to find more bands to listen to that are either female-fronted or have female musicians.

I'm an acoustic musician and I love nearly every type of music, so inevitably, that includes many female artists. I'm an 18 year old male and also enjoy some music by one direction etc. If music is great, it's great. Male or female. Music is great for the soul.

Hope that helps.

Have a nice day :)

• Ryan

Sure, it's pretty common. There's nothing wrong with it at all. I dislike the idea that music can be classified and separated by which gender somebody is.

I, myself, don't listen to any female solo performers, but I listen to a number of bands with female vocalists.

• Jordan

I think it's part of being less of a macho man and more of a sensitive soul. I am the same way, I often can sympathize with the sensitive nature of women more than men, but it also depends on the artist.