Buying a vauxhall astra 1.6 16v sxi 2003 any tips?

Im looking into buying a new car and ive seen a vauxhall astra 1.6 16v sxi 03 plate. I already own an astra van which is a 1.7 16v dti but im a little aprehensive switching to petrol as every car or van i have had has been diesel but im looking to save money and buy a car instead of a van.

I was wondering if someone could give me info on the astra SXI or SRI such as what there like on fuel, opinions reliabilty etc. i travel rougly 40 miles + a day to work and back.

I like the astra's due to there sporty looks but info would be much appreicated.

Thanks

A 2003 car is 12 years and a lot of miles old. The actual condition of the actual car is going to count for loads more than any opinions or reviews of the car in general.

Buying any car of that age is going to put you in the used car lottery.

In 2003 engine technology was well behind what we have now so top that with the passage of time, wear and loss of efficiency and do not expect an economical car.

A 2003 car will be the one first launched in 1998 - 17 years ago!

The SRi was never made with a 1.6 engine

The SXi was made with a few different 1.6 versions but generally they were similar to the not so sporty looking ones and when new could top 117mph and hit 60 in a tedious 10.5 seconds. When new they were rated at 40mpg so in reality probably gave 36 mpg - a 12 year old one is unlikely to hit any of those figures

I made the mistake of once going with a petrol astra and i swore i would NEVER make that mistake ever again.

The petrol car will have less torque and economy than you are used to. There should be thousands of good diesel examples to look at.