Is it okay to be a picky eater?

I am 16 years old and I am a very picky eater. I am terrified of new foods and automatically hate them. I feel like I m not normal. I feel depressed. Also is it bad that I hate to drink water because I hate the lack of taste (I sometimes will use crystal lite) I worry that I won t be healthy. I hate most fruits and vegetables. I only eat cheese pizza. No toppings. I will only eat about two types of sandwiches (pbj and grilled cheese). Please help.

• COOKIE
    Favorite Answer

I'm the same age as you, and until a year or two ago, I had the same mentality about food. I ate terribly unhealthy processed snack foods. I refused white milk—I'd only drink chocolate. Very slowly, though, I eased into trying new things. It's changed my life completely. I aspire to be a nutritionist. I've been meaning to update my icon to kale or something.

Even today, I tried my first scrambled egg. It was good. c:

I'd tell you to speak with a doctor or therapist, but I can't wholeheartedly say that's the right way to go.

You'll eventually need to try new foods. Most fruits are delicious. Blueberries, apples, and kiwis are my favorites. Nuts are good too. I recommend cashews and walnuts. Maybe try honey roasted nuts first—they're tasty. And then the dreaded vegetables. Of course they taste better cooked and buttered and seasoned, but they're not as good for you. Raw carrots and salads are a start. There are fast food salads with cheese and dressing that actually taste good. It's better than no veggies at all, I think.

If you never change, there will surely be consequences concerning your health. A shortened lifespan and an array of diseases will be more likely to affect you. Nutrition is important, because the statement "you are what you eat" is more true than most people think.

Best of luck with your eating.

The fewer things you eat, the better the chances that you're not getting some nutrients. And with what you are eating, you are getting practically no fibre at all. You are probably getting enough protein. You are not getting enough of anything else. most people in third world countries eat better than you do. This might not matter much at your age, but in 10, 20, 30 years it's going to start mattering a lot.

You have an eating disorder. There is help available. I suggest finding some.

AAARGH I SUBMITTED A SUPER LONG ANSWER BUT IT DIDN'T GO THROUGH!!!!!

I have similar eating habits, I've been looking into the possibility that I have ARFID (Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder). My friend who also has ARFID recently went into treatment for it, but I don't feel that I need to because I think I eat just a diverse enough variety to get by.

As for you... I think you should look more into disorders like ARFID and see if something fits. Whether or not you seek treatment is up to you, but I think you should at least make sure you take a multi-vitamin and a protein supplement (like Ensure). I doubt you're getting enough protein, iron or vitamin C, so that's what I would be the most worried about.

This probably isn't ok if you can't eat fruit and vegetables, because you will miss out on vitamins. Not drinking water probably isn't good for you either. Look up becoming a less picky eater there are lots of tips for this around.

At first, you may want to talk to a doctor to make sure there are no underlying causes that may be dangerous. Otherwise, all I can recommend is to force yourself to eat them. You probably don't like new foods because you're just not used to eating them. I used to hate fish, but I made myself eat it every time, and now It's palatable. Try a variety and see what you like best. Celery, apples, pears, raw broccolli, and grapes are all very un-offensive foods, with mild flavors. You're growing and you really need good food in your body so you aren't malnourished. You can try plain water with a slice of lemon or some strawberries in it so it has a little more flavor. After time, you should be able to eat more and more foods, and It will be more fun to go to restaurants with your friends and family.

• Alice

There are others like you and your reaction to foods is neither healthy nor normal. I understand that it's causing difficulty for you and that you can't just "get over it," as I'm sure lots of people have suggested. You need to discuss this with a doctor, because there are ways you can be helped.

I was the same way, I dont know if it came with age, but I just opened up and tried new things

you are not alone! i hate new foods to (no dissorders here, maybe a phobia here and there)